Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Altima: i have a no spark problem on a 2000 altima. got a new

Customer Question
i have a no spark...
i have a no spark problem on a 2000 altima. got a new distributor since the old one looked nasty. still no spark at the coil with a hei spark tester.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
7/7/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.
Did you do any type of major engine work before this issue?
Let me know..
i did the top engine mount and the temp switch. it had been starting to run rough for a week and was getting worse. did those two things, then no start
You didn't do a Crank Sensor or anything?
no, but i did mess that up trying to figure this out. i thought i read that the crank sensor is for ecu diagnostics since the dist does both. btw, can i just solder the wires for the crank sensor to the leads on the sensor since i broke the connector?
Oh... You did some wiring work for the crank Sensor... What color are the wires to that crank sensor?
black with red stripe and brown
Ok... That is good. Some times the connector for the Crank Sensor can get mixed up with the coil connector to the distributor. That is where I was thinking your problem could be. I take it you disconnected the battery when you were working on the car?
yes, i have. dont have the security light on when the key is on tho
i hadent disconnected the battery before the no start issue
I am wondering if you may have a after market alarm on the car which may be active causing the problem. Other wise we need to look at the Ecm operation and may require a scanner to monitor sensors. Are you the original owner?
not original owner, but no alarm. i am thinking ecu also. i was not getting the 5v ref at the crank sensor
with key on
i will check for aftermarket alarm. usually under steering collumn
Yes, It's normally located under the drivers side dash. If you have one there, simply unplug the one big connector to the control unit and see if it starts.
nothing there
ok.. We could very well be looking at a Ecm issue. Do you have any codes right now?
let me check, but i had disconnected the battery for a while to charge it. will it throw a code for ecu just trying to crank it?
i do have a scan tool btw
If you had the battery disconnected longer than 10 mins, it would clear the codes. But I would simply scan it to see if it is throwing any type of hard codes right now... I am going to head home now. I will be back online in about a hour, or if you would like to accept the Additional service request, you can then call me or I call you if you like. Thanks Jay!
hour is fine. ty. i do have a camshaft pos sensor code, but this is my second new dist, since i took the first back
oh.. If you have a Cam Sensor code.. You are most likely dealing with a bad Distributor... If you have been getting the distributors from your local auto parts store, that could be why. After Market Electrical parts never work right. The Cam Sensor is build into the distributor and can certainly cause a no spark issue. I would get the distributor from the dealer. I know it's more money, but you won't be scratching your head and going nuts. That is what after Market parts do. If you want to talk more about this, I will be online in about an hour. If not, and your satisfied with my help, please Rating me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks JAy!
ok. i am going to run the full tests on the optical sensor and see
also, i need to figure out this broken crank sensor connector problem
Yes you need to figure out that and work on the Distributor issue as well. Let me know if you have any more questions on this. Thanks Jay!
can i just solder the wires for the crank sensor straight to the pins on the sensor? this sensor is an ac generator?
The Crank Sensor is only a Reference. The Cam Sensor is the primary Signal. You want to maybe see if you can go to a salvage yard and snip off a connector if you can, so you can repair it the proper way. Thanks Jay!
i am gonna do just that. just found 2 in a junk yard a few miles from me. TY!
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.comDon't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent ServiceThanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician