Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Frontier SE: My 2007 frontier v6 sounds like a semi truck when…

Customer Question
My 2007 frontier v6 sounds...
My 2007 frontier v6 sounds like a semi truck when accelerating. I changed out the belt, fan clutch and tensioner. Thoughts on what might make it sound like it's blowing tons of air?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/5/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Is the noise like a whining noise from the engine?
When I accelerate, it sounds as if something were blowing a lot of air, kind of the way a semi truck makes noise from stop in accelerating. I took the fan off and the engine seems very quiet without it. I have not run it without the fan. The noise seems to be coming from the engine compartment.
I have seen timing chain tensioners wear to the point where the chain is riding on the metal part of the tensioner. Would it be possible that you can take a video clip of the noise so I can hear it? Post it on You Tube and share the link?
I can record the sound, hold on
cool.. That will help me to help you. I am holding. Take your time.
http://youtu.be/YmNhbBXMSvUHere's the sound Jay, it is very audible on low acceleration and not easy to hear if I accelerate heavy.
I just stuck my phone in the hood compartment and drove around a little. It is very well documented here, disregard previous video.
YouTube is processing, soon as I get the link I will add it on here.
http://youtu.be/lLmzrrNrAGkOk Jay, here's the sound with my phone in the engine compartment. Initially I just take sound of the engine idling. It's a bit windy, so disregard the wind. Next I shit the hood and get in the truck and drive around, primarily accelerating slowly. Notice the sound. I repeat the acceleration from stop several times.
Hello
Jay, I'm at***@******.*** if you come up with something.
i am going to listen to it now.. Hang on...
Thank you for the Video. I understand the noise you are hearing.
First thing I would do for your issue is remove the drive belt and run the engine. If you still hear this same noise, then issue is with the timing chains.
The upper chain tensioner guides have failed and what your hearing is the echo of the timing chain riding against the tensioner causing that noise. The job to replace the chains and tensioners is around 10 hours labor.
If you remove the drive belt and it goes away, you may have a bad fan clutch causing this noise.
But removing the drive belt and running the engine with out the belt will determine the direction of repair needed.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!