Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

01 altima no spark. replaced dist. still no spark

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Do you have a test light or volt meter so we can check the wiring?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I have 12 volts going to power transistor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Scanned vehicle with otc genisys no codes. Genisys shows rpm signal while cranking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok,Sounds like the wiring is good. I would like to have you check the start signal fuse, #26 in the fuse box inside the car. Sending a diagram of the fuse box and I highlighted the one to check.If this fuse is blown you won't have any spark, so please let me knwo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No power to 10a fuse
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, this fuse will only have power with the ignition switch in the on or start position. Please double check with the key in that position.If the fuse has power and is good, then I would either suspect you got a bad aftermarket distributor, or the timing is off, check compression to see. If there isn't power on that fuse even with the key in start or on, then we need to check the ignition relay and it's power sources.Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No power either side with key in on position
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All underhood fuses also good
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the ignition relay is on the fuse box inside the car. I am sending you a diagram. You can try swapping it with one of the other relays and see if you get power to that #26 fuse. If you do, I believe the car will start for you. If not, let me know, but pull the steering column cover because we have to check the ignition wiring.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Swapped all relays no power to 10a fuse. Can I supply power into that circiut?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Well, you could but since it's a key on it might be better to check the ignition switch.Can you check fuse #9 for power with the key on? They both use the same power feed from the ignition switch, this will tell us if we need to dig in there or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse #9 is power up when key is on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I made a mistake, Fuse #7 is on the same circuit...really sorry about that and making you run around.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All fuses except # ***** are hot key on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I am sending you a diagram of the back of the fuse box. The connectors and numbers on them will look as if you had the harness unplugged and were looking into it. 6S is the power feed off the ignition switch. Tie a key on power feed into the black/blue stripped wire and it should power the fuse and the car should start.Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jumped power into #6. Fuse 26 hot. Still no spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. make sure you have power on 6N and 4S wires with the key on and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will let you know tomorrow. I had to take a break. Been on it all day
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, no problem, I will be on until about 1 pm eastern time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will not be able to get on till after 5pm cst
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I might actually be on that late as well, just have some stuff to do today midday. Let me know what you find and we will keep digging, it's a very interesting one, frustrating yes, but interesting too
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok.thank you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to do any more testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the delay. Had rain the last 2 days. Will be going tonight. Thank you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, wasn't sure if you could reply if I hadn't is all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No power on 6n or 4s
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When connectors are unplugged. Plugged in and backprobing 6n no power. Backprobe 4s has power
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
6n is the start signal wire. The fuse box is no good from what I can tell. Try putting voltage on 6n and then see if the car will start. If it does, then you either have to put key on and start power on that wire, or replace the fuse box.Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have tried putting power into 6s the fuse got hot but no spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
The only reason the fuse should get hot would be due to a short to ground though.It got hot but didn't blow the fuse?Does this car have an aftermarket alarm system on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No aftermarket alarm
I meant the got power through it. Sorry about that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I am not sure why there isn't any power when you turn it to the on position. We need to go out to the distributor and check for power. There are 2 connectors, there should be power on one of the wires on the 7 pin connector and also power on one of the larger wires on the 2 pin. Sorry I don't have the manual open at this late hour, but you can check and make sure there is battery voltage out there and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the 2 pin connector. The black/red wire has battery voltage key on. The green wire no voltage. Turned key off and ohmed green wire to ground has open circuit. 6 pin connector white/red wire battery voltage. Black/silver wire 5v. Blue wire 5v. Black wire no voltage but ohmed to ground. .3ohms. White/black wire no voltage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also installed noid light into #1 injector. Cranked over no light. But do have power to one side of the injector. The fisrt wire in the six pin connector black wire no power but ohmed out to ground .2 ohms. Rechecked all fuses in cab and engine compartment are good. Except that 6s wire.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the tests for the distributor?I am little concerned you are not showing power on both sides of the injector. This means the signal wires are grounded unless you had them unplugged when testing. You should see power on both wires if the injector was plugged in, if not, then the ecm is grounding them or they are shorted to ground. Injector pulse is created by the ecm grounding the signal wire. Seems like the ecm might be bad here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Prior to the noid light. I sent you another text with the six pin and 2 pin test results. Had the inj connector disconneted to see if I had power getting to them. But doesn't the distributor send the crank/ cam signal to the ecm to operate the injectors. Using the injector drivers in the ecm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct me if I am wrong. dont the injector drivers ground the injectors to make them fire? If I am thinking right does the power transistor interperate the cam/crank signal?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, cam signal drives spark and injector pulse. Since you have a new distributor and can see the cam sensor rpm signal, I figured this should be doing the job. This is why I was looking at the start fuse as the culprit. When you added voltage to the start signal wire I really expected this issue would be resolved. I cannot understand why you aren't getting voltage on the start fuse with the key in the start or run position, but feel it's the problem.Especially if there isn't any codes for the cam or crank position sensor on the car. I honestly am not sure what to replace here to resolve this. Even the immobilizer would only turn off injector pulse, not spark. You would still have spark if the security was the problelm as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you see the the distributor wire tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put in a cardone rebuilt distributor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The vehicle does have the nats system on it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I see the tests yes. Black/red is good, should have voltage.The green wire isn't shown so i don't know if it should be open or not.White/red is the power to the cam sensor which is good.I cannot locate the other color wires on my wiring diagrams to know if they are good or not.As for the nats system, it won't kill the spark. If the security light is on solid then the nats system is enabled, but again, it shouldn't do anything to the spark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to see if the distributor is communicating with the ecm by backprobing somewhere?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
You said you can see the rpms on your scan tool, this means the computer can see the cam sensor. If it can see the cam and crank sensors then it should fire. You don't have codes for either I assume?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really I did not check for codes. I wanted to see if it was seeing rpm signal. While cranking the tach bounces to the rpm speed. It showed the injector ms increasing, closed throttle position
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Can you check it then?Bad cam or crank will set the code without the engine running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will check for that tomorrow. Seeing what the ecm was doing put that at the end of my list for cause of the problem
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Since you provided power to the start signal wire and it still didn't start I have to wonder what it's doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any specific data you would like to see?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
At this point what I would like to see is that there aren't any codes for the cam or crank sensor. The start signal is not a detectable item with the scan tool
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Cant get to the car today. It will be tomorrow when I can get to it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, I will be on in the am then again in the later afternoon, think we will be able to get together on this somehow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike the only stand out codes are P1610 nats malfuntion and P1612 nats malfunction. There was one for the fuel vent soleniod. While cranking I was watching the data stream. Ignition timing went from 0 to 20, maf started at .3 gps to 3.7 while cranking, injector pulse with started at .8ms to 1.1 ms while cranking. Thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Is the security light on solid then? When you turn the key on?This might be how the system shuts down the injectors, but cutting the power to the start fuse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It comes on when you go into start position. Tried to reprogram by key on for 5 seconds then off and repeated 3 times. Same result. Light comes on during cranking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
You can't reprogram this key, you need the dealer or a locksmith with the scan tool to program that. I think you need to take a step back and do this first, then if it doesn't start continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Will try first
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Might be surprised how this one plays out. It will be great if getting the keys programmed solves the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it would. I will let you know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to temporarily bypass the immobilizer?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, the immobilizer cannot be bypassed. It's a real pain in the azz on these.