Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hardbody truck: i have a 97 nissan truck runs poorly after…

Customer Question
i have a 97 nissan...
i have a 97 nissan truck runs poorly after it warms up overfueling badly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
7/5/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Do you have any codes that you know of? How do you know it's over fueling? Please give me some details so I can assist you with your issue. Thanks Jay
i have not run any codes. i can see the black cloud coming from the tailpipe and fuel mileage is awful
Thank you.. That is a sign of a Bad MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor. This is what meters the air going into the engine so it can add the proper amount of fuel to the air. Do not replace this with one from the local auto parts store. They never work right. Get it from the dealer. Most of the time they don't set codes, cause they still meter air, just not properly. If they do set codes, it's normally fuel system lean codes, or for the MAF sensor. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
so how can i be sure? thats a $500 part from nissan
I know it's a expensive part, based on your Description, I am 99% sure that is your issue. To verify it you would need to use a scanner to see what the fuel trim is reading. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician