Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra. 4.0. which won't start. Battery

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra. 4.0. which won't start. Battery is fine, when you put the ignition to the on position all gauges go on, when pushed to start position it won't start. (there is activity at the fuse box, I hear relays, but no power does not seem to get past that point) Starter was replaced, terminals on battery are clean. Seems to be an electrical problem between the starter andd the key switch (it's not the key switch) everything else seems to function normally. I tried the answer below and it did not work.
ECM relay failure is the common cause of the problem for year 2004-2006, but I haven't heard of problems with 2007 to current. Check the ECM relay, it is located in the Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM). The IPDM is the engine compartment fuse/relay box. Push in the tabs on the side of the IPDM to pull the IPDM up out of its holder. There is a row of 4 relays at the bottom of the IPDM. There is a 45 degree angle in the bottom left corner of the IPDM. The ECM relay is the 2nd relay over from the 45 degree corner. The fog light relay is the 4th relay over from the 45 degree corner. Switch the fog light relay to the ECM relay and the try to start the engine. If it starts the Inteligent Power Distribution Module will need to be replaced.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
Is your car an automatic or a manual transmission? also as for the ecm relay recall the relay would make the engine not start but it has nothing to do with cranking the starter you also wouldn't have to replace the IPDM for that issue just the relay. Let me know about which transmission