Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

Titan 4wd: I went mud riding the other day and my truck shut

Customer Question

I went mud riding the other day and my truck shut off and hard to start once it started I could Rev on it and when it hit 3000 rmps it would act like it had a Rev limiter on it and it would spit and sputter and die again now every time I drive my truck for a few hours and it gets hot it does it again till I let it sit for a few hours and cool down, my slip light comes on when it starts messing uo
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello
as you've got the slip light coming on then I'd say that this is the traction control triggering prematurely
The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.
However with ABS/ TC systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.
Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi
do you still need help?