Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Xterra: I have a 2004 Xterra and it misfires at idle and has…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Xterra...
I have a 2004 Xterra and it misfires at idle and has begun to stall out. Dealer advised that distributor needed replaced which I did as well as had the plugs changed out. Leaving the dealer check engine light came on and now it is showing a bad knock sensor code. The misfire started out happening every so often to where it got progressively worse to the point of stalling. Any ideas?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/22/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech replied 3 years ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
hi there have to be more then just one code as the knock sensor code will not set the light on and will not cause a misfire can you scan again for codes
I spoke with the shop and they are showing a Lean Code, a Knock Sensor Code and a Misfire Code.
ok the lean code can cause the blog down and the misfire so start with the code . first make sure there is no vacuum leaks if there are none then you most likely have ether a bad mas air flow sensor or low fuel pressure so check the fuel pressure it should be about 40 psi , if the pressure you may have a b ad fuel pump or a clog fuel filter check that and let me know
I had the distributor and the plugs replaced as per the recommendation of the dealership. The distributor was an after market part and not purchased from the dealership. Could this be an issue as I have heard after market parts sometimes do not resolve the issue when installed. Also the misfire and stalling of the Xterra seems to become worse as the day goes on and becomes hotter?
Nissan Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech replied 2 years ago
the after market unit never work you should get a unit from the dealer