Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Altima: I have a 2002 Altima when I switch over to max A/C

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Altima when I switch over to max A/C the dash vents keep opening and closing. If I put the switch to floor it works fine can you tell me what can cause this
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
That is normally caused by what they call a Mode Door Actuator. The internal motor can't complete the mode selection cycle and that is what causes the vents to keep opening and closing and you get that clicking noise. The reason the floor or defrost works is cause it's different actuators, or the gear inside the mode door actuator is stripped and it can turn one direction, but can't completely turn the other.
Mode door actuators are about 40 bucks and take about a hour to install or less.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!