Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2008 titan turned it off one day and now it wont

Customer Question
start changed ipdm as well...
i have a 2008 titan turned it off one day and now it wont start changed ipdm as well as fuel pump and new battery it will crank the fuel pump does not come on when key is on tried straight wiring it fuel gets to engine wont start had a mechanic hook his
code reader to it it will not recognize the truck tried the starting fluid trick trys to hit but doesnt start any suggestions today i installed a new crankshaft position sensor still nothing and checked for fire on a plug nothing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/17/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
first off, do you have any codes? do you notice anything weird when you turn the key to ON or START positions? Like a solid security light? or flashing service engine light? or condenser fan coming on at bumper?
all the lights come on like normal and yes a fan does come on
i had a mechanic hook his code reader to it but it kept saying to please connect or something to that nature long story short it wouldn't read
condenser fan coming on means there is a control unit failure, since you cannot read codes either the IDPM is bad and therefore the ECm relay is not powering, or the ECm is bad.
Since you CHANGED the IPDM, its time to check power to the ECM. If you have power than it sounds like a possible bad ECM. Which for some reason seems to be a trend this month on these titans. Generally I don't see many ECM failures on these trucks, but it's been a bad month for them for some reason.
i did just replace the ipdm it came loaded with all new relays and fuses loaded
as well as fuel pump crank sensor and to day i checked for fire on a spark plug and still nothing
new battery as well and new positive terminal
it will crank all day just won't start
like I said before, the issue here is that you have a control unit that is either bad or not receiving power and it this point it's not looking good for the ECM. The whole reason the condenser fan comes ON is for FAIL SAFE mode. Meaning there is a control unit failure.
so what do you reckon i should do at this point ?
all new relays in the ipdm perhaps
With the condenser fan coming on and you already replacing the IPDM. Best bet is to have a high end san tool to CAN test the modules. Only thing else you can really do without it, is check for battery power to the ECM with a voltmeter. If you have power and back up power then take your meter and turn the key ON and probe at the DLC to see what's missing.
sounds like i need to just take it to a stealership and let them fix it
Well unfortunately unless you want to pin test or have a high end CAN capable tool then that is the best option. I definitely would not throw parts at it anymore if you in fail safe.
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician