Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Nissan 350Z that I am having major issues with…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Nissan...
I have a 2004 Nissan 350Z that I am having major issues with the A/C Fan not coming on. Both fans have been recently replaced, as well as the IPDM replaced with a used one. I know that the A/C fan is function because I can short the relay in the fuse box
and the A/C fan turns on. The other cooling fan works normally. Im wondering where to go from here.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/17/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 3 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
hey there, so the a/c compressor itself is functioning normally? but the condenser fan is not operating when the a/c is running?
The A/C is operating as it should, although without the A/C fan, when idling, the A/C goes warm because there is no flow through the condenser.
I know that the IPDM gets signal to turn on the relay that turns on the A/C fan, but could the ECM be bad? I've of course check all the fuses as well as swap around the relays to no solution.
Well really when driving the vehicle their should be enough airflow to keep it cool IF the compressor is running. Now idling might be a different story.
The compressor has to be functioning though for the a/c on signal to get the fan functioning.
so you positive the compressor is working fine and has power to it?
The A/C Compressor was replaced last year as well. It is absolutely working fine, clutch engages no problem, smooth as can be. My previous A/C compressor was loud and was starting to fail. Im in phoenix, so the temps are already in the 105-106 degree range so idling in my car sucks bad bc of how quickly it gets warm.
How are you jumping the relay? Grounding the coil side? Or jumping power to the switched side?
Ive done both. If there was one relay that happened to be bad, would that affect another relay at all? From what I understand is that the ecm sends a 0-5volt signal when the a/c turns on to the relay to engage the a/c fan....is that correct?
I also tried swapping out my buddies climate control unit from inside the dash, but that did not change anything..
Shoot me a message tomorrow and we will dig a bit deeper
So I am still clueless as to where to go for this issue. I'm wondering where to go next? Thanks
hey thanks for the reminder! let me look at something, be back shortly.
okay sounds good
Do you have the cooling fan wiring diagram?
I do have the entire 350Z factory repair manual
Ok, then since you have it. Just start the car and warm it up. Turn the A/C on and check the 3 wires leaving the IPDM to the cooling fan motor. You can also check the ground at the fan as well. Just use the wiring colors on the condenser fan to verify if its 1 or 2 on the diagram and then match with the IPDM terminals to back probe them.
There are two fans with 4 wires each including the ground wires. Am I measuring ohms on these wires?
I want to make sure you are looking at the diagram for the 350Z and not the G35 as one of the G35 models has only 1 electric fan. Thanks
yes the Z 2 fans, each with 3 wires LEAVING the IPDM to the fan connector. 1 wire on each going to ground. All 3 relays have 2 switches that when closed simultaneously feed the same terminals on each fan. So When one cooling fan is running you want to probe the IPDM terminal feeding that fan terminal and get a reading. Probe the corresponding one leaving the IPDM to the other fan and see if it matches. Then see if it is at the fan as well.
Okay, I'll try and do it this afternoon
let me know how you make out and we can take the results and go from there ok
So I didn't have much time this weekend, but I went out and checked the voltage at the E5 & E6 plug ins going into the IPDM. With the car running and AC on, - the E3 plug - Wire 7 (black/red) = 13.95V. Wire 8 (Black/Yellow) = -4.0V, Wire 9 (Yellow) = -3.2V. Wire 10 (Red/White) = -3.8V. Not sure why there is negative voltage on three of those? On the E6 plug - Wire 11 (Blue) = -1.9V. Wire 12 (Yellow/Red) = -3.3 Volts. Wire 13 (White) = -3.7 Volts. I believe 14,15,16 are ground on the E6 Plug. I attached the two diagrams that I have been using. Are you able to tell me anything from these voltages? Thanks!
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
If you have the entire factory service manual, then go to the engine control section and view the "engine over temp" trouble code info. it has a much more detailed schematic. Monday morning are pretty hectic around here, I will take a look at this later today though.
I actually am still trying to find an engine control section in my online repair manual. The manual is really disorganized online so its hard to piece together. Let me know when you take a look at those voltages. Thanks!
were either of the fans running hen you did these tests? Not to be rude, but are you using your meter properly? secondly, if you accept my offer I sent you I can email you WAY better diagrams to ease your confusion.
If you need further help please let me know. If not just be sure to leave a kind rating please.