Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Altima: 2006 Nissan Altima shift lock

Customer Question
2006 Nissan Altima shift lock...
2006 Nissan Altima shift lock
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/11/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Hi there,Do you have any lights lit up on the dash like a pnp by chance?Do you have a test light or volt meter? Do you hear a click in the console when stepping on the brakes?
I don't hear a click. If it does click then it's very faint. There are no lights on dash
Ok, do you have a test light? I assume we are looking to fix the problem or do you just need to get it out of park?
Trying to fix it. I do have a test light but I'm not with the car right now. I can b at the car in about an hour if u can tell me what to check
Ok, first thing to check is the red/green stripped wire off the brake light switch for power when you step on the brake. This is the signal for the shift lock control unit. If there is power, then we need to get to the shift lock solenoid under the shifter cover and see if it's getting signal. This will be the red/white stripped wire at the shifter, you have to have it plugged in and it will go to ground if the control unit is doing it's job. It should ground when you step on the brake, otherwise you should see power on it while it's plugged in.Check this all out and let me knowWhat happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Yesterday I seen a red and white striped wire and I checked it but I did this without it being plugged in. I will try again shortly. Just to b clear, the solenoid has two wires right?
Yes, there is a solid white that should be a constant power wire, then when stepping on the brakes, the brake light switch sends power to the control module, then the control module is suppose to send ground to the solenoid via red/white stripped wire. This activates the solenoid so you can get it out of park.
Ok I'll check it and get back to u in about an hour. Can u tell me what happens if I do or don't get a signal when pressing brake
If you don't get a signal, then the control module is probably not any good. If you do, then the solenoid is the like failed part.
Ok I checked the wire (red wire with a white stripe) and it has power. When I push the brake pedal it stays on
Ok, basically that means the control module isn't grounding the solenoid, hence it won't release the handle.So the control module needs to be replaced from the sounds of it. This is located behind the instrument panel/cluster.
Is there a way to check the module? I'm guessing it isn't cheap
The only way to test the module is to pull the instrument panel and then check the wires to make sure there is signal and power. Because you aren't having a key issue, that tells me the power supply to the module is ok, so that leaves the brake light switch signal on the red/green wire. Checking at the switch typically is enough of a test unless for some reason the dash has been apart and the wiring has been cut.
Ok thanks. And the actual part is called shift lock control module??
Yes, it's the shift lock control unit.Please let me know what more I can do to help.Also, please remember to rate one of my answers. Thanks so much!
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician