Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2012 nissan maxima that makes a loud humming sound

Customer Question

hi I have a 2012 nissan maxima that makes a loud humming sound coming from the middle of the vehicle i replaced the passanger side cv shaft along with the bearing bracket but problem is still there
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Does this humming noise increase with vehicle speed?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it increases minimal with speed as soon as i press on the gas the sound is evident

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
If you get up to lets say 50 mph and put the car into neutral and coast does the noise go away or do you still hear it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't tried that but can do that first thing in the morning what would I be looking for if it does or doesnt go away?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Since I am not there to hear the noise, I am simply going to ask you to do somethings and let me know if the noise changed at all during what I asked.
The putting into neutral and coasting is one thing I would like you to try.
The second is if you rock the car, meaning you whip the wheel back and forth a little to rock the car right to left see if the noise comes and goes or if it stays.
Does the noise get louder as you are coming to a stop?
Do you have the factory wheels?
I have one more thing I would like to to try but you would need a safe road that is long and straight to try this. Do not try this with any traffic. I like to do this to help determine if the noise if from the engine / transmission or if it's if the chassis. I will get up some speed and I know this is a push button start car, if you put the car into neutral and press and hold the start button the car will turn off and you can coast with no engine and see if you can hear the noise. If the noise goes away with the engine, then you know it's the engine that is making the noise or the trans. If the noise is still there, then we know it's in the chassis or driveline.
Do you think you can do this? Of course I would expect you to take great caution when doing this. Please make sure your doing this in a safe area.
Let me know if you feel you can do this..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can try this in the morning then give u my results the wheels are factory but the tires have been recently replaced. when you say whipping the car u mean while i am driving and the noise is present?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, say around 20 or 30 mph just kind of rock the car and see what it does to the noise.
Tomorrow is fine. I am normally online around 6 or 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm.
Ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok I will respond to u tomorrow thank you for your help

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome..
Remember if you turn the car off a coast, you will have no power steering or power brakes. So to simply restart the car, lightly step on the brake pedal and press the start button to start the car. That is how you can restart it while moving. Then just put it back in drive.
Talk to you tomorrow.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

quick question if I have a lift could i try that coast method on the lift? or would u recommend it on the road?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Oh yeah.. If you have a lift, yes you can do it on the lift.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Awesome would u recommend trying the coast first or whipping the wheel left to right first?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Well I would drive it for the rocking car part. After driving it, then put it on the lift and with the wheels off, see if you can duplicate the noise on the lift. If you can, that will make it easier to locate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so with the wheels off I Rev it up to 50 mph and let it coast on neutral to isolate whether it's engine,tranny problem or from the drivetrain. When I whip it side to side what am I looking for? For the noise to stop or the side it's coming from?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
When you are rocking the car, you want to see if the noise comes and goes, and see if it sounds louder when maybe pressure is applied on a particular side.
Also if you are a shop with a lift, stick someone in the car and put them in the air and have them run the car at 50 mph and use a screw driver on the back of a wheel bearing, Trans, oil pan any where you think you may hear the noise to see if you can isolate the area
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok awesome I will try that and get back with u tomorrow thanks for all the help I appreciate it

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
You got it, and your welcome.
Talk to you tomorrow