Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

300zx: My Grandson just bought a 1994 300zx which looks brand…

Customer Question
My Grandson just bought a...
My Grandson just bought a 1994 300zx which looks brand new. It has 107k miles on it and runs like a new one. However, after we changed the oil on it the ABS light came on, the p/s got stiff, and the a/c goes on and off all intermittent. Would that be a relay? Do you think the oil change could have done something strange? We used a floor jack with stands and jacked up the drivers side then the passenger side. Does it have a separate computer for accessories that might be going south. It is now officially HOT here in the Dallas area.
Thanks,
Jack
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/9/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 3 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hi there, thanks for your question.
Sounds like you have a few different things going on here.
The A/C going on and off Tells us it's more than likely related to line pressure or possibly the pressure switch itself.
The ABS light could be a few different things. Did you check the fuses?
Thanks...
The abs fuse looked good. He took it out thinking the problem was the abs system. Everything would faulter at the same time. Steering got tight and the a/c would turn off and then come back. And the steering would come back. The climate control display on the dash turns off too when the a/c turns off accompanied by an audible click. They all stayed down 30 seconds to a minute and then came back till next time down. He said the radio speakers go down too. Good news is the engine keeps purring. It could be possessed...:) Hope that helps... Thanks for your reply!
For what it's worth... It has gotten a lot hotter out since he bought the car...and it sits in the sun... We did wash it but did not notice any leaks to speak of... Thanks
Thanks for the details. These cars were pretty unique in that they incorporated an electronic power steering control unit that effects system operation. So it's very plausible at this point to assume all these issues are related to an electrical short. Best place to start would be the drivers side interior fuse panel, since these are ignition on power sources including the power source to the steering unit. I don't think it's necessarily an individual fuse though, I think there might be an issue with that fuse panel or a grounding issue or water intrusion issue from the windshield or something. So start by inspecting that fuse panel please.