Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 03 frontier a/c works but it squeals at the clutch.

Customer Question
Turn it off and the...
I have an 03 frontier a/c works but it squeals at the clutch. Turn it off and the noise stops. Can I replace the clutch only? Thks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 3 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hi there, thanks for your question.
is it squealing the whole time the clutch is engaged? or just when it first locks up?
if it only squeals when the clutch is engaging you may consider it just being the belt slipping because it's worn or loose. If you get a more continuous or consistent squeal the it could be related to the clutch or pulley.
You CAN replace just the clutch assembly, but we don't do many of those unless the customer specifically requests it. The reason being is it takes longer so the increased labor time loses some of the savings you get versus just replacing the unit and the shaft is known to break on the removal process sometimes.
You CAN certainly replace just the clutch though if your doing it yourself then the extra labor issue is not a problem.
Let me know what other questions you have please.