Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004, 4 cyl. Nissan Xterra had a bad fan clutch which I…

Customer Question
My 2004, 4 cyl. Nissan...
My 2004, 4 cyl. Nissan Xterra had a bad fan clutch which I replaced. It ran fine until I stopped for a couple of minutes when the temp guage would peg to hot and stall out. After it cooled down it would start and seemed to run ok until I stopped again at a light and would peg to hot again and stall. I had an appointment which I drove to moving all the time until while moving the engine stalled. I had it towed back to my house and noticed the bottom radiator house had blown off. There was still fluid in the container next to the radiator but the radiator was empty. I filled it up with the bottom hose reconnected. Now I cant get the engine to start. It turns over but will not start. What could cause that to happen? I tried for along time start the engine and it would not turn over. I made sure the relatively new radiator was topped off but that didn't matter.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/6/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 3 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Hello and thank you for your question today!
Have you checked for spark?
no I have not, why would that have become an issue
How do I do that
What about the thermostat
Depending on how hot the engine got it could have damaged a sensor or caused a fault with the head gasket. Since it won't start, we have to start with the basic reasons an engine will not run, it's lacking either fuel, spark or compression. The only way we are going to know is to check them. Figuring out what is missing is the only way to determine why it won't run.To do this, you have to pull a spark plug wire from one of the spark plugs, set it next to something metal on the engine and crank the engine, you should see spark come out of the wire to the metal part.The thermostat will not prevent the engine from starting.Hope that makes sense
Yes I can try that. I already removed the air cleaner and primed the carb with gas and that made no difference. If Im not getting spark, whats next
Does anything need to be reset like the sensor
Next would be checking the wiring to the distributor, making sure the check engine light is coming on with the key on and finally checking for fuel injector pulse with a noid light.If you are lacking both spark and fuel it points to a cam or crank sensor issue, if you are only lacking one of them, then we can focus on areas that only control on of the factors that make them work.The computer uses signals from the cam and crank sensors to fire.Unless your security light is on solid while cranking, there isn't anything to reset.
you will have to give me time to check spark and don't deduct that time from my time to ask you more after bi do what you suggested. Can I do this and get back to you without spending more?
Yes, in fact the timer is paused after every time I reply. Just let me know what you come up with when you can.
OK, FYI the check engine light is and always been on because of cantalitic converter needs replaced but I do the trick toget it inspected
Ok, that's good, we needed to know the ecm is actually coming on. That's all I needed for that my friend.
what's ecm
How come I am limited to 10 minutes
10 minute limit is what you paid for I guess, I am just an expert and don't run the site.ECM is the engine control module....the computer that makes the engine run.
That's not going to be enough tim for the solution. so give me "what if's" so I know where to go after we are done. I don't know anything about the ecm
All I needed was to know the light is coming on so I know the computer is actually waking up. Nothing more about the computer is required at this point. The timer is paused until you report back with your findings.
It didn't appear to be getting any spark
Take the distributor cap off and make sure the rotor turns as you crank the engine. You have only checked one of the things, so really, we also need to know about the injector pulse as well. Even put a code reader on it and see if there is a code for the cam or crank sensor.