Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Altima: 1996 Nissan Altima died while driving. Towed home.

Customer Question
1996 Nissan Altima died while...
1996 Nissan Altima died while driving. Towed home. No spark. Had oil in the distributor, replaced with a yard pull. Put new cap and rotor on. Replaced the plug wires and crank angle sensor. Also got a ignition coil from a salvage yard. Still no spark. What am I missing? Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
6/2/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
It sounds like the used Distributor maybe no good. Do you know if you have any codes? Also, did you replace the Crank Sensor at the same time you were doing the distributor?
Let me know
Hello, I do have a code. P1320. Distributor Signal Interrupt, Ignition Signal -Primary.
That code does indicate there is a issue with the distributor.
P1320 codes, P0300 codes, P0340 codes all point to the distributor as the problem. So it sounds like you got a bad used Distributor.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Is there a way to check the ignition coil is good? Or is is really unlikely that it would be bad?Thanks, Ed
Coils rarely ever failed. Allot of people replaced them thinking that was the problem, when it's actually the distributor. The Distributor is what makes the coil operate. So it's unlikely the coil is your problem.
Thanks Jay!