Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

This request is directed to Jay Turner. If you receive this

Customer Question
request but are not Jay...
This request is directed to Jay Turner. If you receive this request but are not Jay, I would appreciate if you would forward/assign this request to him. Much appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Adding the details ...2008 Nissan Rogue purchased used with 110,000 miles.
Symptoms: Frequently after driving the car for about 50-60 miles on the highway at 60-80 MPH, the car will enter a limp mode not exceeding 2000-3000 RPM or the car will stall soon after coming off the highway and remain unstartable until it cools down for 60-90 minutes.I checked the Oxygen Sensors and Fuel Injection performance as per the attached screen shot (Torque Pro on Android with an ELM 327 wireless Bluetooth OBD-II adapter) and there is no data available for O2 Sensor 1. I replaced the oxygen sensor with a new Bosch sensor and there is still no data coming from O2 sensor 1. I thought this is the reason why the short term fuel trim is bouncing around more then the 10% +/- that might be considered normal STFT adjustments. Long term fuel trim is also jumping much more than usual. It was my best guess that with a faulty O2 sensor, the fuel injection is thus acting erratic. But now with a new sensor installed and still no data, I am thinking faulty wiring. But yet, no check engine fault codes are being registered in the ECU.I would appreciate your sage advice. Thanks. -- Joel
5/31/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
I see your Graph readings. What is it we are dealing with? Please give me some details.
I also don't like to use LTFT readings. I like to see STFT readings as they are live and actual readings you are getting right now. As well as A/F Sensor readings and Rear 02 Sensor readings. But I like the Graphing..
So please give me some details on what is going on, codes and so on.
Thanks Jay!
Just sent the details ... Thanks!
Of course you added details after I replied...lol..
Please get me any codes you may have and short term fuel trim readings as well as A/F and rear 02 sensor readings with RPM at idle and at 2k Rpms please.
The car is my nephews a not in my driveway at the moment. But as soon as I can provide the data / graphs, I will get them back to you as soon as possible.I did provide the STFT and O2 readings for sensor2 (labeled as O2 1x2 V, Bank 1, Sensor 2) in the picture I sent you.Thanks,
Joel
Polling interval on graph is once per second.
Yeah, you have a STFT 2, I want to know where STFT 1 is? and I can't tell if that is the front or rear 02 sensor readings It looks like the rear. But I also don't know at what Rpm you captured this data at? I like readings at idle.
Please take your time getting me this information. The wife is making me go shopping in a few. I can feel my wallet hurting already. I will be back online later this evening till 10 or 11 pm EST.
Sound good?
Oh, I also like to read the upper 02 sensor and compare the reads to the rear 02 sensor along with the stft.
Thanks
Will do, but the upper O2 sensor has no reading at all. Even after installing a new one :-( I did send you 10 seconds worth of the downstream O2 sensor readings in real-time as per the picture.When you said A/F did you mean Air/Fuel Ratio or MAF sensor readings?
Yes, Air Fuel Ration Sensor is like the Upper 02 sensor. It should be around 1.5 volts.
No MAF sensor readings.
One other piece of information. When the car is in gear but doesn't rev passed 2500 RPM in Drive, if the CVT is placed in neutral, the engine revs freely.
Sorry I was not online last night.
I actually borrowed my friends car yesterday to do some work on it and on my way to work, his MAF sensor crapped out. I couldn't accelerate past 2k rpms when driving or it would bog like it was out of gas. But if in neutral it would rev fine. It would only act up under load. Is that what you are dealing with? Please give me some details what the car is doing so I can get that understand while looking at the graphs.
Thanks Jay!
Based on that first graph readings, this car is running way rich.
Let me know if your experiencing what I did on the way to work yesterday, and let me know if you have a K&N Air Filter or Cold Air Intake on the car?
No worries. Yes, a very similar scenario but it revs to 2500 (+/- 500 RPM) when problem occurs. In neutral it also revs just fine. I like the MAF thought because it sounds like the part is temperature sensitive and only becomes an issue after an hour of driving at 70MPH. Though, the problem recurred yesterday and the day was quite cool here in NY/NJ. In the 50's mostly. The car is completely stock. No performance enhancing equipment added. Thanks, Joel
I hear ya, I am in the NJ/NY area as well.
First thing I like to do when I see a Rich Condition like this, is try cleaning the MAF sensor. To clean it you need to get a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner and clean the element part of the MAF sensor and see if that helps. It normally does when it's rich, also look to see if any debris is by the element. Mine as a piece of a leaf by the element causing the whole problem. Normally when it runs rich, cleaning the MAF sensor resolves it. If it was lean, then cleaning it normally doesn't. Give that a try first and let me know how you make out.
Thanks Jay!
I forgot I took a video of the Sentra when it was acting up. If you want to look at the video to see if it's acting close to what your experiencing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NBkXskkPQ
Checking in to see how you are making out?
Bought CRC MAF cleaner. Will try it tomorrow night. Not my personal car as mentioned so have to wait ... thanks for checking in ...
Ok...let me know how you make out
Hi Jay. A belated update on the 2008 Nissan Rogue. I cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF Cleaner. It was clean as a whistle with no noticeable junk in the air inlet. At times (like today) the car is unresponsive to the accelerator input for about 15 seconds. The pattern for all issues seams to be heat after 1 hour of highway driving. Never when cold. Ideas?
When you say Acceleration issue, does it accelerate if you do it lightly, and act up if you try to accelerate to hard?
Let me know..
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician