How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jay Your Own Question
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Category: Nissan
Satisfied Customers: 20060
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755
Type Your Nissan Question Here...
Jay is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

300zx: 87 300zx will not start, replace battery, there is not

Customer Question

87 300zx will not start, replace battery, there is not power getting to the anywhere in the car.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
New batteries sometimes come with plastic caps over the terminals. I just need to ask if yours did and if you removed them? If you didn't then remove them and see if that resolves your issue.
If you don't have plastic caps, then you most likely blew the main fusible link. You have the Wire Type Fusible link. It's off the back side of the positive battery terminal. It looks sorta like this. See link;
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/JA%20Images/fusible%20link%20battery%20terminal.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/JA%20Images/fusible%20link%2012.jpg
That fusible link is like the main fuse for the car. If that is blown, you won't have any electrical power. Since it's a wire type, it is hard to tell if it's blown, cause it breaks with in the insulator of the wire. The only way to know if it's blown is with a ohm meter. Removing it and ohming it will tell you. But they are fairly cheap anyway.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have a link as in picture you sent. there is a small plastic enclosure which houses 5 or 6 I suspect fusible links. I took out the one marked Battery gnd and ohm it out it is definitely open. Will try and get a replacement on Monday. Hopefully this is the cause.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
I am 100% sure you you have the wire type fusible link. Let me see if the old service manual has any pictures of it