Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

300zx: 87 300zx will not start, replace battery, there is not

Customer Question
87 300zx will not start...
87 300zx will not start, replace battery, there is not power getting to the anywhere in the car.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/30/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
New batteries sometimes come with plastic caps over the terminals. I just need to ask if yours did and if you removed them? If you didn't then remove them and see if that resolves your issue.
If you don't have plastic caps, then you most likely blew the main fusible link. You have the Wire Type Fusible link. It's off the back side of the positive battery terminal. It looks sorta like this. See link;
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/JA%20Images/fusible%20link%20battery%20terminal.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/JA%20Images/fusible%20link%2012.jpg
That fusible link is like the main fuse for the car. If that is blown, you won't have any electrical power. Since it's a wire type, it is hard to tell if it's blown, cause it breaks with in the insulator of the wire. The only way to know if it's blown is with a ohm meter. Removing it and ohming it will tell you. But they are fairly cheap anyway.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!

I don't have a link as in picture you sent. there is a small plastic enclosure which houses 5 or 6 I suspect fusible links. I took out the one marked Battery gnd and ohm it out it is definitely open. Will try and get a replacement on Monday. Hopefully this is the cause.

I am 100% sure you you have the wire type fusible link. Let me see if the old service manual has any pictures of it
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician