Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1995 Maxima. Sometime wont start, only cranks over…

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Maxima...
I have a 1995 Maxima. Sometime wont start, only cranks over and over. Sometimes starts and runs for 5 minutes and dies. Sometime will start again, sometime wont. Sometimes it will start and run and drive great, then suddenly die on the road while driving. I have replaced both crankshaft position sensors, Cam shaft position sensor, fuel filter, new battery, checked the fuel pump - it pumps but I cant check the pressure or consistency of its operation. I put the new battery in and it acts like the battery is dead and doesn't turn over at all.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/30/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Rick, Nissan Master Technician replied 3 years ago
Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
Does it have a check engine light on? and if so are you able to check for codes
Yes, early on it had a 0101 cam shaft pos. Sen. code, so I replaced it. Before when it would start and drive. The check engine light would stay off until it would randomly die. Now it is displaying a 0201 ign. Sig. Primary. And a knock sensor 0304.
I have also removed each coil connection while it was running and witnessed the engine missing for each one removed.
I've been told it could possibly be a loose or corroded ground wire in the control module harness. Is this true? If so I have no idea where to locate such a ground wire connection.
Okay so the knock sensor code I wouldn't worry about too much it won't turn on the check engine light or cause the problems your having. you replaced the cam sensor already so that code is probably taken care of. the ignition signal primary code is a common one and will make the engine not start or run rough and die, it sometimes also comes with a cylinder miss fire code indicating a particular cylinder but the only fix I know for it is to replace all six coils. I even had the Nissan tech support team tell me just replace all six coils and don't mess around with trying one or two that are miss firing
There are other bulletins that cover things like the a/c draining water on top of the ECM you could take a look at that to make sure its not getting wet. also the wire harness that goes around the right hand strut tower can get some open circuits in it we usually test it by taking that section and twisting the wire harness with some pliers and holding sometimes the engine will miss fire or even die if the wires are breaking up inside the harness
When it does start and run it runs smooth with mo misfiring. It has never displayed a coil misfire code.
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't
We ran the battery down trying to start it. So after sitting fir severs days I jumped it off and it started right up. Ran for 5 minutes and died. Tried to restart and it acted like there want enough juice to turn the starter. So I pulled the battery and took it to autozone, the tested it to be bad. So I bought a larger battery that was still speed for the car. Put it in and tried to start. It acted the same way, as if the battery were dead with no juice to turn over the starter.
You should check your charging system when you have the engine running even if the battery is good if your running with out charging it will run out of juice and could be nearly dead depending on how many accessories are running
What else can cause the ign. sig. prim. Code?
The battery is brand new and it won't even turn over and try to start.
What I mean to say is the starter will not even spin, as if the old weak battery was still in it.
Sorry about the delay my daughter came by for a few, if its just the starter does nothing and there are still head lights that work and all the other electrical items work normal then its probably the starter causing that problem. if when it does that if you have someone bang on the starter while you hold the key to start and the starter takes off that would verify the starter is going out
The only thing that will cause the ign signal primary is the coils
Good morning. Well I tapped on the starter with a heavy steel rod and it started right up. I let it self idle to see what it could do on its own. It ran rather slow 500-600 rpm for maybe 8 minutes when it seamed to idle even slower and eventually died. It restarted with the help of pumping and holding the gas down for a few seconds. This time the idle was up around 900rpm and it continued to idle for 20 minutes when I shut it down, it restarted fine 3 more times. The CEL was on so I checked for codes. It still has the knock sensor but the ign. Primary was gone. Instead it had a coolant temp sensor code. I am replacing it today. Q - could the coolant temp sensor (not coolant temp switch) effect the cold idle rpm or possibly the fuel mix from the cpu making it idle slow and die when cold?
Yes definitely if the coolant temp sensor for the ecm is reading wrong then the ecm might think the engine is hotter than it is and the fuel schedule would be too lean and cause it to idle low and rough and probably make it crank for a while before it starts. be sure your replacing the temp sensor for the ecm and not the one for the gauge in the dash
Great thanks. I'm actually replacing both if them
That sounds great
Did replacing the temp sensors help the starting issue?
Yes it did. And the idle is up where it should be. So Far So good.
That's great to hear. Please remember to rate my answer thanks