Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Pathfinder 4x2: 2005 pathfinder 2wd. Drives smoothly .

Customer Question
2005 pathfinder 2wd. Drives smoothly...
2005 pathfinder 2wd. Drives smoothly for years. Still drives smoothly. Great tires left. Thursday of last week my VDC light and slip light came on while driving on a dry day at lunch time. The VDC button will not turn the VDC on or off when pressed now. I pulled over turned the car off Removed the key for a few seconds the crank the car. The 2 lights are still on. 4 hours later when I leave work when I crunk up the car the VDC light is gone and the slip light is gone. I can now turn the VDC on and off with the button under the heat controls again. Later that evening when driving my son to practice. The Service engine soon light came on all of a sudden. I turned car off and back on it did not work. Car is still smooth and sounds good.I stopped by Autozone a few hours later and plugged into there computer It had a code C1143, E1163 and a P1800 code. All Brake lights worked I use 93 shell gas. My car angle down a level plain is straight as a arrow. What sensor is bad and can I replace and reset the codes myself. The P1800 says it could be on just because the service engine soon light has been lit for a while. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/28/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hi there, thanks for your question.
There are a couple of possibilities here that could cause this situation. The most likely scenario being a faulty cam sensor since the service engine light is on now.
Do you have a local auto parts store you could run to and check the codes real quick?
My initial statement had the codes on it from 1 hour after the problem came up. But again the codes were C1143, E1163 and a P1800 code
Wow no kidding how did I miss that! sorry lol.
That's a steering angle sensor fault. Have you had any battery problems?
No no battery problems at all. No issues at all. I drive my car everyday everywhere. Everything works.
My car rides great. I just want to turn this dam light off it has tp be a bad component.
Thanks, ***** ***** to check because a weak battery can cause the steering angle sensor to lose calibration and throw a fault sometimes. If the battery fils good then the issue is the steering angle sensor itself.
Unfortunately the problem with a steering angle sensor issue is it requires an advanced level scan tool like the dealers to set the zero point. If you cannot set the zero point in level ground and the sensor has to be replaced they will still have to set it for the new part. So this is not something you can really do yourself unfortunately.
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician