Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan/Datsun Altima S: jay I have a 2005 Nissan Altima and

Customer Question

jay I have a 2005 Nissan Altima and the car will crank but not run. replaced both sensors with new factory sensors and still will not run. my mechanic said he lab scoped it and the seem to be running parallel. he also said that if you turn or wiggle the top crank sensor the car will start and run from time to time but not always. he is thinking the timing chain has stretched just a fraction throwing the timing off. the car has 210k and has always run great. any ideas? just the the computer parameters to widen just a touch to let the two sensors talk to each other.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Do you still have the original Cam Sensor and Crank Sensor you removed? Also where did you get the sensors you installed?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Nissan dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Cool. Do you have the original sensors still?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not anymore, I think the ECM need to be flashed or reset
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Well there has been some updates to the computer. But what I wanted to check was to see if oil was in the connector area of the sensor. I have seen where oil seeps through the sensor and can get into the connector also where if you don't clean the connector you could get intermittent no start or hard start issues as well as some stalling. Also you want to make sure the connector it's self for the crank sensor is locked. Meaning that the green lock on the connector sprun up all the way when plugged in. That ensures a good connection. If it did not snap up, then you have a bad connection and you need to get the connector to snap up and lock. Normally the best way to do that is to remove the crank sensor and plug it in with the sensor not installed. Then after you plug it in and get it to lock, then install the sensor. I am mainly speaking about the crank sensor. That connection is the most common to have issues due to oil or connector not locking properly.
Did you install the sensor your self?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No had the mechanic do it and he knew about all of that as well as to get the sensors from the dealer. He can wiggle the crank sensor and move it some and sometimes a car will start and even started one time without it on
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
I would have the mechanic unplug the connector and clean it with brake clean just in case there is oil in the connector. Even use dye electric grease in the connector as well and see if that helps. Also make sure the connector is fully locked as well. If not fully locked, wiggling the connector can act like what your describing.
It sounds more like a connection problem, which is why I am making those suggestions to have that checked. I don't think it's anything more than that.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!