Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Pathfinder: I cleaned my throttle body while I was replacing

Customer Question

I cleaned my throttle body while I was replacing my idler pulley and belt. There's about 97,000 miles on my 2006 Nissan pathfinder. I've had really good luck with this car but after I cleaned the throttlebody I now have a high idle code that I cannot get rid of. And it idles at about 1600 rpm's
I have pulled the battery cable for over 24 hours and retied it with no luck
I have attempted to reset the ECU, Excelerator pedal released position learning, throttle valve closed position learning, and idle air volume learning.
All of those I did from here and none of them made any type of change to the way it idled. Is there anything that I can do without taking this to a dealer to relearn my idle?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, thanks for your question.
If you cleaned the electronic throttle while it was on the car then you very likely damaged the throttle body, we see this quite a bit when people open the throttle by hand to clean it while it's plugged in and damage the TPS sensor built into it.
Also you can't relearn the idle when it's that high, it won't take the relearn. So you will have to unplug an injector or two to get the idle below 1000rpm and then perform the relearn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that something that you can walk me through? What kind of time are we looking at?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry man, 30 minutes has been too long to wait.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry Jake has been taking so long to get back to you. Do you still require help with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've worked with you before jay ! I was really impressed, fortunately since I spoke with jake I have got this figured out. And it was totally different from what he told me. But that's ok at least the problem is fixed. I didn't have to pull any injectors not was the tps bad, call it luck I guess but he wasn't even close. Maybe I'll just request your services next time I'm in need? Is that even possible?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can request me in the future if you like.
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-jay1/?rpt=3800
I am normally online in the evenings around 6 or 7 pm till 10 or 11 pm EST.
Glad you got the problem fixed, and I will give you a little advice. You cleaning the throttle chamber may have caused the damage to it. These are electronic throttle chambers. Throttle cleaner can damage the electronics of the throttle chamber. These newer throttle chambers I recommend using Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. It's a electrical cleaner and won't harm the throttle chamber.
Glad you got the problem resolved, and now you know when you can find me, and if you would like to request me, just go to that link I provided.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Jay I will!! and I wont be cleaning the throttle chamber ever again.... let the dang thing gum up i guess. For the record I did use the proper cleaner and I used the CRC brand... just my luck I guess

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
LOL.. To funny!!
Well, I guess it will be one of those things, if it's isn't broken, don't touch it!
hehe
Have a Happy Holiday.
Thanks Jay!