Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Maxima: 1996 Nissan Maxima will not pass inspection in the…

Customer Question
1996 Nissan Maxima will not...
1996 Nissan Maxima will not pass inspection in the state of Wisconsin because vehicle has too many OBD monitors not ready. Monitors not ready (EGFR, Catalyst evap, O2) I see there is a NTB 98018. What can I do to get it to pass?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/20/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
what recent work was done??? was there an issue with the check engine light??? if so, what were the codes and what was done to correct it.
Roy
New battery, struts, and front axle. Check engine light had an issue 5 years ago, but that was fixed by Nissan via a recall notice.
ok, assuming there is no other issue, a drive cycle needs to be done. it is not just driving the car. it is a very specific way of driving the car to make the monitors run or test themselves and set. you could drive your car 500 miles and not set a monitor because conditions have not been met.
http://www.lyberty.com/car/96-nisssan-drive-cycle.gif
you need to follow the drive cycle exactly for the monitors to run. we never give the car back to the customer and tell them to drive it. we charge 79 to perform the cycle and it will set the monitors unless there is another failure somewhere.
Roy
That Drive pattern is for a stick shift. This is an automatic.
that is still the drive cycle that must be done for the motor. I was reading it over that what I do when I run these cars whether it is an automatic or stick shift.
Roy
Roy Belding
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician