Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Altima: I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 two injectors not

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 two injectors not pulsing.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Did you use a noid light to determine the injectors weren't firing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes checked it with a noid. One is pulsing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, sorry for the confusion here, but do you have 2 not pulsing or one not pulsing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two. Facing the engine, the two starting from the left aren't. The one to the right is.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I understand now.If they have power but aren't pulsating and you had a broken negative cable, the issue is likely the computer not grounding the circuits. What you can do to check is to use a volt meter and check for continuity on the signal wires from the injectors to the computer. If the wires have continuity and aren't broken, then the computer is likely the problem. Basically the injectors have power all the time, but only get grounded when the computer tells them to. This is what makes the injectors pulsate. Sometimes the computer is damaged when the negative cable breaks.Let me know if there is more I can do to help you with this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this a common problem? Would a used ECM work?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
It is a fairly common occurrence when the negative cable breaks and yes, a used ecm will work, but it will have to be reprogrammed. At least the security so the car will start, and also a throttle body relearn would have to be done as well.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Which wires do I check for ground to injectors?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
The first injector, #2 you will run a continuity check on the red/white stripped wire, #4 which is the next injector along side of it the wire is red/blue stripped. These are the signal wires from the computer that will ground the injector and make it work. You can't use a meter to test that they are grounding because it's to slow. You can only check continuity or use a noid light. The noid light should flash when ground comes from the computer.Let me know.