Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Maxima: Okay so I have a 2005 maxima and every time my foot…

Customer Question
Okay so I have a...
Okay so I have a 2005 maxima and every time my foot is in the accelerator there's a rattle coming from the car I think it might be the exhaust I've had this since I bought the car. I checked the exhaust and the mesh part of the exhaust looks like it hit a bump it looks slightly tore.. My second problem is that last night going down the highway the check engine light came up so I took it to my local auto parts store and they said the only code that came up was p1800 something about a VIAS control solenoid but they couldn't find the part on the computer please help
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/20/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 3 years ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hi there, thanks for your question.
A rattle or ticking under acceleration is more than likely just an exhaust heat shield or exhaust leak.
Are you wanting to replace the solenoid yourself? Or just know a little bit about the repair and the costs?
Let me know please
How much would the exhaust heat shield or leak cost? Parts and laborWhere can I buy the solenoid the auto parts store said they couldn't find it in the system
And yes I want to repair my self
It only rattles when I have it in drive. If I have it in park and accelerate it doesn't come up. But if place it in drive and press on the brake I can hear it, and also when I drive
sorry got pulled away.
The exhaust all depends on what's actually causing the rattle on the exhaust. A broken bracket, a loose heat shield, a rusted through heat shield, a hole, etc. The biggest difference will be which exact part is effected. For instance tightening a loose shield that's still good might cost you $50, where you might pay $500 in an extreme case where a mid-pipe was needed.
The reason you notice it in drive with the brake depressed is because that's when you have the most vibration because the transmission is engaged. That's actually a good indication that its more of a rattle from a loose component then a leak.
Let me get you a price on the solenoid. one moment.
What would be the best way to figure out what that loose part is? I'm new to this and would really hate to pay a lot to just get it checked
Well the price on the solenoid is $149. It's located on the top of the intake manifold and has a vacuum line that runs to the power valve. Lots of times the vacuum line can get damaged and cause the code so check it first.
The best way to check the exhaust would be to start by getting under the car while the exhaust is cold and banging areas of it with your hand to see if you get any rattling. That's the first step.