Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

350z: Hey jay- I have a 2004 roadster with a rough idle

Customer Question
Hey jay- I have...
Hey jay- I have a 2004 roadster with a rough idle
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/15/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the engine is running? Also how many miles on the car? Did you change spark plugs yet? If so, what brand spark plugs?
Hi jay- NGK Sparks. 89,000 miles. CEL is intermittent
Do you happen to know what codes you are getting?
No. Have not had it scanned yet
Well the first thing we need to do is scan the car to see what code you are getting. That can help give direction of repair. Do you have a code reader or a Auto Zone near you? Auto Zone does free scans. So if you can get the codes and return and let me know, I can help you much better
Let me know.
Will do. Can I get back with you tomorrow?
Sure. I am normally online around 6 or 7 pm est till 10 or 11 pm.
Sounds great! I'll hit you then
you got it
Hey Jay- I am in the process of changing the plugs on the Z. I am at the plug at the drivers side last, or third plug from the front. Do I need a crows foot wrench to turn the 10mm bolt? I have a video describing the issue. I can send to an email address if you like.
I normally pop the throttle chamber off, and I get all the coils out with no problem. Just don't clean the throttle chamber.
Also take note if you find any oil in the spark plug galleys.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Hey Jay- I just finished installing new plugs. Although it idles better, it still is idling rough. I had it scanned at auto Zone. The code was po300 "multiple misfire detected" & "Random Multiple Misfire". The sound accompanied by the idle is hollow-like too. Almost as if it could be catalytic?? Hmm. Weird. I'll be up for a bit.
Do you have any Mods to the Car? Cold air intake? K&N air filter?
Let me know..
None.
Did you find any oil in the spark plug tubes?
No
If you give it gas, does it clear up and run smooth? Then when it comes back to idle it runs ruff?
or is it ruff all the time?
Pretty much all the time. It's consistent. I took it for a test drive after installing the plugs. It did run, just really rough. I took it up to third gear and about 4,000 rpms and it's the same
Do you have a scanner? Allot of the things I want to check is going to require a scanner.
Let me know..
I do not, but please advise. They are 50% off at Auto zone
I don't know about a Auto Zone scanner. Most scanners that do what I would like to see cost 1500 to 10k dollars
Should I take it to a dealership to have it scanned?
it would be cheaper than buying a scanner
Ok. I'll get it scanned tomorrow and get back to you
ok..Talk to you tomorrow.
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician