Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Altima: Car was working fine when I drove it one day. I didn't

Customer Question

Car was working fine when I drove it one day. I didn't touch it until a few days later, when it wouldn't start. There was a red light blinking on the dash, I think it was the light signalling low battery on my key fob. The brake was kind of locked up and I couldn't pump it down. I also left the steering wheel slightly askew so I was unsure if there was a steering lock mechanism. Also, I couldn't really cycle it through "ACC or On" unless the fob was inside the manual entry for it. However, this was incredibly strange - when the car was on and I hit the brake down, everything would shut off and when I released the tension, back on. The brake would barely push
I've been very busy so I had to leave it and I came back to it today, a week later. The battery seems to be dead now as well, but last time the battery died I had an entirely different experience - so I'm unsure. The keyless entry doesn't work, so I use the mechanical key. The manual lock/unlock feature on the doors also dont
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,The battery may have been to weak on the car during the previous attempts. This may also explain everything shutting down when you step on the brake pedal. There might have been some surface voltage there that would give you enough of power to tease.I would start with a jump start. leave the donor car on it for 15 minutes, then see if things like the keyless entry start coming back, if they do, then go ahead and make an attempt at starting the car. Even if you have to use the slot for the remote, if you get anything out of the car it gives a good indication the battery is one source of the issue. Then, once the car is running if you still need to put the fob in the slot, you will likely have to put a new battery in the fob. Let's try this one step at a time though and see what happens.Please let me know.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** ask you follow up questions later? When I have the opportunity to jump the car?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, absolutely. If I am not online I will get an email and get back to you asap.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I tried to jump my car yesterday, and alot of car functions came back while the donor car was plugged into mine. It almost turned over and sparked a couple times, but it never did - and a couple times a bad clicking noise seemed to come up when I tried to start it. The power did come back into the car though, and I could filter through acc and on a bit more easily... although i still had some trouble getting it to work sometimes. Can the battery be entirely dead even tho i replaced it last year? i also just got my car checked up on a month or so ago and it was fine, but can it be the starter too? kinda confused right now.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I believe you may have a defective battery. They can fail in a short time, all it takes is one of the plates inside the battery moving and making a connection inside and it will kill it. Then, with the rapid clicking noise, that also points to a weak battery. You may also have a bad connection at the battery. Corrosion between the cables and the terminals can give you this kind of issue. I would pull the battery and have it load tested. Whoever replaced it should be able to pro rate the battery and warranty the battery minus one year of use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To get it load tested, do I have to bring it to a mechanic?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Either a mechanic or a parts store. Most of the parts stores have the ability to tell you if the battery is no good or not. You don't even need the whole car, just the battery.