Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Maxima: Actually, I'm looking on how to determine

Customer Question
Actually, I'm looking for information...
Actually, I'm looking for information on how to determine whether my car needs a head gasket or not.. I currently have the valve covers and upper / lower intake off with camshafts exposed.
The issue originally surfaced after the car was driven, and the radiator went. Upon investigating that issue, I realized that there was some oil in the overflow tank. I towed it home, and found the hole in the radiator. I drained the rest of the fluid from the system , but no oil was found. It was the same color as it usually is. Drained the oil and it appeared to be the correct consistency as well.
What else should I be looking at to figure why there was oil in the overflow? Since oil floats on top of water, I was thinking that there was a small leak over time. I also don't really know how to tell which head is the issue.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
5/8/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Hi there, Do you have an misfire codes? Or did you when the engine was running?

There were not any misfire codes and the CEL was not on.

Ok, basically there are 3 methods you can use for checking the head gaskets.Two of which you can do without the engine running.First would be a leak down test. Basically with a leak down test you put compressed air into each cylinder one at a time. Then listen for bubbling in the cooling system.The second would be a pressure test on the cooling system. Put a pressure tester on the radiator for about an hour. Then remove each coil and plug aand look down into the cylinder with a flashlight. If there is a leak you will normally see coolant on the piston.Third would be doing a combustion test. When doing these the engine has to be running and the coolng system is tested for exhaust gases.Other then oil that looks like a milkshake these methods are best for checking the condition of the head gaskets.Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please remember to rate my answer. I really appreciate it.Thanks so much!
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician