Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Frontier Nismo: Im getting a sort of grinding / humming noise

Customer Question

Im getting a sort of grinding / humming noise from what seems the front or middle of the truck. This occurs when coming down speed of 40mph and 20mph without applying the brake. I've replaced the brake pads and both front bearings. Truck is a 2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4.0L 2WD. Appreciate your though/suggestion. Rick.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, seems like you have already tackled most of the more common causes for symptoms similar to yours. have you inspected the front end u joint on the prop shaft yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have. They appear to be tight with no play and/ or visual issues. One thing I did notice was that the center drive shaft bearing seems to be worn. The rubber center seems to have some play when I move the drive shaft up/down or sideways. Could this cause the grinding / rumbling sound I hear when coasting from 40mph to a stop?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
The center carrier bearing isn't one to make a grinding sound. They can cause noise and vibration including humming but generally don't cause grinding noises. Try shifting down manually when coasting down so it engine brakes, see if that makes it grind on you.