Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I can be driving on an interstate or just a city street and

Customer Question

I can be driving on an interstate or just a city street and my 2007 Nissan Maxima does what I call stalls out. I had the timing chain replaced about 2 weeks ago. This is really not the issue just an FYI. I have taken it to the local Nissan dealership and they can not determine the problem. Example: The other day I was driving on the interstate going about 70 mph. It stalled out and my speed dropped about 10 mph. It did not make any difference if I stepped on the accelerator. It went down the interstate for awhile and then said I am ready to run. It has been doing this for the last month. I cannot pinpoint what or when it is going to happen. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
When the engine supposedly "stalls out" is the engine actually shutting off? or is the engine still running but you cannot accelerate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine is still running I just cannot accelerate.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Is this only after driving for awhile? Or right when you start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean right when I start? It is when I am driving. I do not just start on the interstate. I guess I do not know what to say. I can sometimes drives for a couple of days and nothing happens. Most of my driving anymore is in town. Therefore, most of the driving I do before turning off the engine is under a half hour. No warning lights come on in the car.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
What you said was exactly what I needed to know. I was trying to figure out if it was something that happens on short drives when the engine/transmission is cold or if it only happens on longer commutes after driving awhile. From your last reply it's obvious that it only happens on longer drives or commutes that require interstate travel. That being the case it's likely a fluid logic issue with the CVT transmission. What happens if when the fluid temp sensor sensor or the fluid itself gets too hot the transmission goes into fail safe mode which prevents you from accelerating. If the fluid has never been serviced this may be the reason, or it could be an issue with the fluid temp sensor recognition which can be bypassed by adding an external cooler in most all cases.