Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano with 105K miles. It runs fine.

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano with 105K miles. It runs fine. Check engine light came on and code was P1726. Any idea how large a problem this is? Is the car safe to drive?

Ted G. :

Hi, this is Ted. Have you noticed any running problems at all?

Customer:

No

Ted G. :

The code you have is for a throttle signal fault. Often this is because the computer does not see the throttle in the same place it expects to so it sets a fault. Usually the first line of attack is to clean the throttle body thoroughly and reset the code. If it comes back then further, more in depth diagnosis has to be done.

Customer:

Here is the situation. This is a car I am planning on trading in soon and the dealer quoted me $1100 to fix this which I do not want to sink into a car I will not long have. Is this a part that can fail? Will the car suddenly cease to run? Basically, will my wife get stuck on the side of the road?

Customer:

Your best guess, of course.

Ted G. :

If it is just dirty it will start to have running issues like stalling at idle. But it will not die. The only problem is if there is a deeper fault like a bad sensor or wire. If you really do lose throttle signal it just won't accelerate. It will idle and move but will not speed up. Since you are not experiencing running issues right now, I would lean towards dirty and you can run with it. If it does go into limp, tell your wife to simply turn off wait thirty seconds, and restart. Often that will bring it back up.

Customer:

Is this something that is easy to clean? Would the dealer have tried that or would they just want to charge for replacement?

Ted G. :

It is not hard but you have to be careful because often times it will lose it's idle setting when you restart it. Then there is a procedure that has to be done to relearn the idle and it is hard to charge the customer for that so dealers often just call for replacement to avoid the hassle and extra free work.

Customer:

In your opinion, is there much of a risk of the car breaking down because of this?

Ted G. :

I would say no since you have no symptoms, but that is not an overly common code so I don't have much history to go on with that particular vehicle. I would not hesitate to drive it, but like you I hate to take any risk with my wife's car.

Customer:

I really appreciate the help. Is there anything else you can think of that I should know?

Ted G. :

No, not really. Did they clear the code when they checked it?

Customer:

Haven't picked up the car yet. They are waiting to hear from me

Ted G. :

If they clear the code it may never come back. Sometimes these things can be a minute glitch and never reoccur. If they won't clear it drop by an auto parts store, they will normally read and clear them free of charge. If it doesn't come back or takes a while that will tell something too. If it comes back right away I would be a little more cautious about it.

Customer:

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. 5 star rating to be sure

Ted G. :

Thank you for using JA!