Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Nissan Pathfinder: Nissan Pathfinder 1995 V6-LE. Originally

Nissan Pathfinder 1995 V6-LE. Originally thought it was transmission. But looking around the engine, I notice connection to Ignition Coil Connector was not put on tightly. So I reconnected and I was able to drive it for 30 seconds to 1 minute with power. then I lose power as if it is in neutral. I go out and unplug connection to Ignition Coil Connector and reconnect it, then I put it in "Drive" and have power again for 30 seconds to 1 minute again. So my guess it was never the transmission at all, but symptoms seem like it because after initial surge of power, I then lose pose to move forward (almost like it is in neutral), I've replaced the Ignition Coil Connector and replaced Ignition control module. Has anyone every had this problem? Was ready to junk because the value of the car does not warrant the cost for transmission repair. But I no longer think it is transmission. Any help is usefull. Jack

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

Jack

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

yes, I'm here now

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

there is one think you can try here

Customer:

I'll try anything

tims auto repair :

but i would think your first instinct was right

tims auto repair :

replace the transmission filter

tims auto repair :

it may be clogged ,a clogged filter could cause this

tims auto repair :

but..

tims auto repair :

i would think the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced

Customer:

I did change the ignition coil connector and module. But I'm curious to why it goes after I unplug and reconnect

tims auto repair :

the reason it works for about a minute

tims auto repair :

is because

tims auto repair :

the fluid cools for a moment when you turn it off for a while

tims auto repair :

and the fluid gets thicker,,causing more fluid opressure

tims auto repair :

pressure

tims auto repair :

after it heats back up for the few seconds

tims auto repair :

it looses pressure

tims auto repair :

again..a clogged filter can cause this

Customer:

is changing the filter involve a lot on a pathfinder?

tims auto repair :

you will need to remove the transmission pan

Customer:

Okay, I will try that.

tims auto repair :

]i rebuild transmissions...

Customer:

So it really has nothing to do with the coil and module?

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

i think it is the transmisssion

Customer:

That was my original thought too.

tims auto repair :

try the filter before you give up

Customer:

okay. I will try that and hope for the best.

tims auto repair :

yes,,thats all you can do here..sorry

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP