Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Altima: 2010 Nissan Altima, 2.5 (I think). Car wont start.

2010 Nissan Altima, 2.5 (I think). Car won't start. all lights on dash work. AAA tested battery and was good. Then AAA sat in car, did a lock/unlock proceedure with key fob, and car started right up. Next day car started fine twice (short runs) then nothing.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

When the car doesn't start, do you know if the brake lights are working or not?

Customer:

No I don't, sorry, and I'm not near the car right now.

Jay :

There are two things you need to check

Jay :

First see if you can catch a reflection view of the brake lights and see if they come on when you step on the brake pedla

Jay :

pedal

Jay :

How far away is the car?

Customer:

I can call home and have someone check.

Customer:

Stand by for a couple moments...

Jay :

ok

Jay :

Also let me know if the steering wheel is locked as well.

Customer:

OK, the brake lights work, and for some reason my wift tried the starter, and it's back running again, so unless you have some advice for the next time, I guess I can't tell you any more....

Jay :

This is what you want to check if this happens again

Jay :

First see if the brake lights are coming on. If you step on the brake pedal and you don't see brake lights, the issue is the brake switch.

Jay :

If you do see brake lights, check to see if the steering wheel is locked.

Jay :

If not locked it could be the steering wheel lock control unit.

Jay :

Both of those are the most common for no start issues if the battery is good.

Jay :

If your satisfied with my help, please Rate me. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Any guess as to why the engine started after AAA turned the lock on and off while inside the car, and it then started, after several no-starts?

Jay :

Sometimes if you have a bad brake switch, if you keep tapping on the brake pedal the lights will eventually come on and allow the car to start.

Customer:

He seemed to think that the alarm needed resetting. Just repeating...

Jay :

That is why I asked you to check that first

Customer:

OK, that's cool to know.

Jay :

Na, it's not the factory alarm normally. But if you have a after market remote start or something that could also interrupt the start signal as well

Customer:

Nope, standard Nissan, as far as I know--did buy it used, though.

Jay :

Well if used, you may want to have this double checked before it happens again, and see if there is any after market equipment installed that may also cause this.

Customer:

OK, then, let me keep this info in my brain and check to see what happens next time. It may be at a service center first, though if it starts up next time. Thanks for you help.

Jay :

Your welcome and I hope the information I provided helps you if this issue is to return again.

Jay :

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and don't forget to Rate me if your satisfied with my help. Thanks agian

Jay :

Jay!