Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 G35. The car was towed to a shop (that I

Customer Question
haven't used before but is...
I have a 2003 G35. The car was towed to a shop (that I haven't used before but is AAA certified). The engine was cranking but not starting, the door locks weren't working and windows not working, radio was working and other asst components working. The shop just called and said I need a Body Control Module, that the problem wasn't fuse related or key/security recognition which they initially thought it could be. The cost would be $950. What are my options? Should I call dealer too?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Nissan
4/23/2012
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 5 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

It is true the BCM ( Body Control Module ) does control lock function and window operations.

Jay :

But does the dash light up when the key is turned on?

Jay :

If could be a main fusible link also

Jay :

The other thing is also if the BCM is replaced, you are going to need all your keys for the car reprogrammed.

Jay :

So since the dealer is the only place that can do this, it maybe a better idea to get a second opinion from the dealer

Customer:

yes the dash lights up

Customer:

where is the main fusible link

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

when it was towed in I saw them look at the fuse/fusible link/relay box and speculate that it could be that fuse, but they said in the voice message this morning to me that it wasn't

Jay :

Did you have like no electrical power through out the car?

Jay :

except head lights and radio?

Jay :

Is the 950 quote for the part and labor? Does that also include programming the keys?

Customer:

I had head lights, radio, dash lights, no windshield wiper but washer worked, the engine turned over and a couple times did start briefly but then cut out... there were three error codes that thrown out when a tech tested Fri afternoon while tow truck waited, they said they were security system/key recognition related originally, the remote didn't open/close the door lock --- I don't know if the cost est includes the price of the reprogramming (I have two keys w remotes) altho on Fri they said they have the ability to do so (a Nissan key capability) and I don't think they'd be estimating the cost w/o throwing in the key programming but you're right about making sure everythings is covered (but I don't have 950 right now) and if I cannot find a lower price will have to put it in storage -- btw I just called the local Infinity dealer for a part quote for 03 G35 body control module and it is $360 and not in stock

Jay :

You may want to try contacting a salvage yard and see about getting a used one.

Jay :

Just make sure it's for a Sedan, or Coupe which ever you have.

Jay :

It would be cheaper

Jay :

But you would still need to have the keys programmed regardless

Jay :

It's could be a BCM issue since you have so many functions not working, but it's hard to say with out actually being able to perform tests to determine that.

Jay :

It does control remote, security, interior lights, power locks and power windows and so many other things.

Jay :

950 sounds pretty steep since the dealer quoted the part as 350, and it's most likely 1 to 2 hours labor to install and program

Jay :

which would be around 500 for everything

Jay :

That is why I would suggest getting the second opinion

Jay :

I know I have a 04 G35 Sedan Bcm that I was going to put on Ebay that is good.

Customer:

I assume the 04 Bcm isn't ok for an 03?

Jay :

I can't be sure.

Jay :

That is why I asked you to contact the dealer with your vin number and get the part number for your BCM

Jay :

I can then tell you if the BCM I have would work

Customer:

the vin number, let me check. I'll have to call ins co, since the car isn't with me

Jay :

Plus, if I remember right I already decode the pin number on the Ecm, so if you can get a mobile locksmith that can program the key, It has the pin on the BCM already so they can just program the keys

Customer:

vin - JNKCV51E23M012023

Jay :

Oh you want me to get the part number for you?

Jay :

I don't have my BCM here, I would need to check when I get home.

Jay :

I will check for you.

Jay :

Talk to you later this evening. Thanks Jay!

Jay :

This a coupe or sedan?

Customer:

sedan

Jay :

Ok, I will get back to you later this evening

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

I just called the shop that usually works on my car and they told me, after checking their labor estimate online system, that the module is a simple swap out and they told me they'd do it for $50 if I give them the BCM part... is it a simple swap out and then if it is, if I have them swap it out, maybe I'd have a mobile locksmith do the reprogramming or have it towed to the dealer to do it?

Customer:

I believe my car is a later in the year 03 - also just checked to see the going rate on ebay, around 100-150? eg -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-03-INFINITI-G35-Factory-Body-Control-Module-Brain-BCM-OEM-WARRANTY-/130658070067?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6bd3ee33

Customer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Infiniti-G35-BCM-Body-Control-Module-284B1AM810-/230778981058?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35bb7fcac2

Jay :

I have your vin number. I will get the proper BCM number and see if the BCM I have is the same. If it is, then we will talk.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer:

gracias, steven

Customer:

thank you, esteban ;-

Jay :

I got your BCM part number and your car doesn't have Navigation. I will check to see what BCM I have when I get home. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

I just called a locksmith here who's website says they do mobile programming of keys and I explained the situation w the replacement of the BCM. He said that if three parts come together from the used parts supplier -- the BCM, the key from the vehicle and a 'skim reader' ('the ring around the key in the ignition') then for sure they can successfully re-program it, but if it's just the BCM, he said, then sometimes the reprogramming works and sometimes it doesn't and if it doesn't then it will have to go to the dealer

Jay :

If the BCM I have is the correct part number, I already have the BCM decoded to the 4 digit pin so he would be able to program the keys.

Jay :

I will let you know what part number I have when I get home

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay :

Ok, I checked the BCM I have and I am sorry to say it's not going to work. Your BCM part number is ***** and the BCM I have is 284B1-AC360. It

Jay :

It's for a 04 G35 Sedan, but the part number is ***** so I don't think it will work I am afraid

Jay :

But that is your part number as per your Vin number of the BCM part number you need. 284B1-AM820

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

Jay :

If your satisfied with my help, don't forget to press the ACCEPT button. That is how I get credit for my work.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician