jpaug01
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Experience:  15 years nissan,infiniti exp nissan and infiniti master tech,GTR certified ase master L1 certified
6212151

my car makes a loud purring noise that wasnt there before

Customer Question

my car makes a loud purring noise that wasn't there before when I drive. it's a 1999 nissan maxima
Category: Nissan
Expert:  jpaug01 replied 5 years ago.

jpaug01 :

Hi,my name is John,welcome to Justanswer!Are you still online to chat?

jpaug01 :

Hi there!

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

yes i'm here

jpaug01 :

Can you describe a little more of how and when and from where you are hearing noise?

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

i just noticed it yesterday when i started my car it sounded a lot louder than usual

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

it get louder when i press the gas

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

but you can still hear it when it's in park

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

it sounds like the engine is revving like a truck

jpaug01 :

So it is there all the time when the engine is running,while sitting in park,if you rev the car does it get louder and quieter?

jpaug01 :

Im sorry you already said it does

jpaug01 :

Did the noise just start or was it something that got louder the more you drove

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

i think it just started but i always play my music pretty loud so i'm not sure

jpaug01 :

Im sorry for all the questions,I like to make sure i give proper advice,Does it sound like the muffler is loud or different from that?

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

no it sounds like its coming from the front of the car

jpaug01 :

Ok,What i have seen in the older Maximas is the idler pulley or the alternator,a/c compressor make noise.These parts are run by the drive belts and have been very common to become noisy,what are the miles on your car?

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

125,000

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

my last oil change was jan 19

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

10* sorry

jpaug01 :

It really sounds like a pulley noise,there are some other parts that can make noise on the front of the engine but the pulley or alternator are most likely the cause.They wear out and the noise seems to happen quickly

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

what has to be done about it?

jpaug01 :

Are you going to be taking the car to a service garage to be checked out?When the bad part is found it will have to be replaced

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

how much do you think that will cost?

jpaug01 :

It depends,the pulley replacement would be around $180.an alternator would be around$400 labor and parts! Depending on where you are in the country.The bad thing is you should get it looked at sooner than later becuase if the pulley breaks apart you will lose alternator function and the battery will die while drivng.If the the alternotor is the noise it will eventually throw th belt causing the same thing to happen

jpaug01 :

Unfortunately in this forum I can only give educated suggestion without hearing the noise,is there anything else i can help with today?

JACUSTOMER-6qqgkjno- :

no thats okay thanks

jpaug01 :

If I have helped you today,please click accept so I receive credit for this chat,Thank you and have a great day!