Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima and the car will not start.

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there!
Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The engine does not crank over. It doesnt prompt me to push the brake in. There is a little light that is square with a key in it and it comes on when I push the brake or even push the start button.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, most likely it is a low battery issue. Try a jump start first. Leave the donor car attached for 15 minutes, then try to start it and let me know, we will take it from there.
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I read the users manual and it said that when that light comes on it means that there is a malfuction in the itelligent key system.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but a low battery will cause the same problem.
I have seen this quite a bit which is why I suggest starting there. If the battery is low, there is a malfunction with the key system.
It can't receive the signal. I am by no means suggesting there is not a possible issue somewhere else in the system, but we need a place to start. This is that place. Given the number of times I have seen it be the issue, it is always where I like to start.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay, well how long do I have to talk to you cause I dont have jumper cables available right this second.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I will be here for at least another hour to hour and a half, then all day tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay, i live next to a autozone, i am going to get jumpers, i should always have a pair anyways.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good, let me know how it goes and we will go from there.
Also, check to make sure the brake lights come on when you press the brakes.
Let me know when you get back!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got back and have the truck charging the car battery right now, all the bakes lights work including the back window brake light. Still letting the truck charge up that car battery.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that eliminates the brake light switch as the probable cause.
Good to let it sit on there a bit.
Also, if it still won't crank, try a different fob if you have one. I suspect it will work however.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, this didnt work. Also, we have tried both intelligent keys, still didnt work. Also to mention that the steer column is locked up like its suppose to when your turn off the car.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, there should be a slot for the key on the lower left of the steering column. Try putting it in there and see if there is any change.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that with both keys also, and I bought new batteries for both keys as well while we were at the auto store, so those are fresh too.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, it does look like the immobilizer has you locked out. You will have to get the dealer to reprogram the key fobs for you.
Sorry I was unable to help. I will open the question back up in case another expert has ideas.
Please don't reply to me or it will lock the question to me and they won't be able to reply.
We have done all I know to do from home.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

How many miles on the car?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is 29K on the car.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
What I have seen that can keep the car from starting and is acting like your describing is the steering lock control unit. This is what unlocks the steering wheel so the ignition can come on. You will need to take it to the dealer I am afraid to verify.

Brake lights and Batteries would be the only other thing. But you already verified it's neither. So at this point the car would need to go to the dealer. Since you have only 29k on the car it should be under factory warranty. This will cover the tow, and the repair for you at no charge.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!