Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Altima: 4cyl..kick..Cranks OK.Will a bad Knock sensor cause this.There

Altima 1997 4cyl base car. Turned...
Altima 1997 4cyl base car.
Turned engine off then tried to restart immediately and will not kick off. Cranks OK.
Will a bad Knock sensor cause this.
There is fuel and spark but no run. Code 0325 is set?
11/14/2011
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :
tims auto repair :

the knock sensor would not cause this

tims auto repair :

it sounds as if you have no injector pulse

tims auto repair :

sense you do have a spark,,i would thing the the timeng components are intact

tims auto repair :

so,i woul think your problem may be the cam sensor

tims auto repair :

it is built into the distributer

tims auto repair :

you may want to replace the distributer with a new rebuilt unit

tims auto repair :

1997 Nissan-Datsun Altima GLE L4-2.4L (KA24DE)
Knock Sensor Description and Operation, Components

85_ns97altim_smec-159a.png
Full Size Image

DESCRIPTION
The knock sensor is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is sensed as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the ECM.
* Freeze frame data will not be stored in the ECM for the knock sensor. The MIL will not light for knock sensor malfunction.

tims auto repair :

Camshaft Position Sensor Locations, Components

tims auto repair :

Camshaft Position Sensor Description and Operation, Components

98_ns97altim_smsec-020a.png
Full Size Image

99_ns97altim_smsec-020b.png
Full Size Image

DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position sensor is a basic component of the ECCS. It monitors engine speed and piston position. These input signals to the ECM are used to control fuel injection, ignition timing and other functions.
The camshaft position sensor has a rotor plate and a wave- forming circuit. The rotor plate has 360 slits for a 1° signal and 4 slits for a 180° signal. The wave-forming circuit consists of Light Emitting Diodes (LED) and photo diodes.
The rotor plate is positioned between the LED and the photo diode. The LED transmits light to the photo diode. As the rotor plate turns, the slits cut the light to generate rough-shaped pulses. These pulses are converted into on-off signals by the wave-forming circuit and sent to the ECM.

tims auto repair :
Tim's Auto Repair

Checked for PCM injector pulse. Teat light probe flashes on crank-Good.
Cam position sensor must be-Good
Could exhaust be plugged. Just replaced Cat and flex tube and refit O2 sensor

This one is driving me crazy. It was running, turned it off, and the went to start it right away and nothing.

yes..it is possible for the exhaust to be clogged...unbolt the pipe from the exhaust manifold,,just to see if it will start

thanks

When I went to disconnect the flex pipe I realized that I did not install the doughnut gasket and the nuts were loose.

Could no back pressuer cause a no start condition.

I removed the flex pipe at the exhaust manifol down pipe. Still no start.

no

it should fire up ,,with the pipe loose

thanks

Does the fuel pressure regulator, or mas air sensor have anything to do with starting?
yes.....it must have the correct fuel pressure....but,it should have fired on the starting fluid..you need to make sure it is in time....check the compression

Compression checks at 75 psi on crank, for each cyl, with throlttle open.

This morning after sitting over night it kicked off for just a second on start up then nothing. Pulled the plugs and they wrer dry as a bone. Still no start after spay with start fluid again.

I must be missing something obvious.

May have to start logical troubleshooting all over again.

The question is why would an engine not restart after just being turned off?

Damn piculiar.

If any lights go off let me know.

Thanks for sticking with me.

If you finally work this out there will be a nice tip in it fpr you.

Update. Just got it to kick of an run theen stall on starter fluid.

This means all is well except fuel delivery system.

1. fuel is being pumped to the rail-Confirmed

2. injectors check for continuity - Good

3. 12V on socket to injectors - Good

4 Injector pulse - Good

Ant thoughts as to what to do next?

well....we know we arent getting fuel.....are you sure the injectors are pulsing?

do you here them click?

OK The plot thickens.

So I tested the fuel pump for pressure. 38 PSI plus.Reconfirm fuel pump good.

Disconnected one injector plug from socket. Engine starts to kick over.

Reconnect injector plug to socket-engine wont even kick over.

Disconnect fuel hose fron injector rail from fuel filter. (Clamp off end so fuel won run out) engine starts perfect and runs perfect until residual fuel in rail runs out.

Reconnect fuel hose to injector rail and pressurize. Crank engine and it will not start.

Not even a single kick.

Injector measures 11.7 ohms across the coil on all four injectors.

12volts on all injector plugs from the harness.

Pulse checks good on all injector plugs from harness with test light.

Peplaced fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter with new. No start.

This is a good one.

What say you?

strange indeed

i have seen a similar problem before on a cavalier...was hard to find the problem...the fuel tank had been sugared..the sugar was sticking all the injectors..though they had a pulse..the fuel wasn't coming out of them..had to replace all injectors...........remove the injectors and leave them on the rail,,turn over the engine and see if fuel comes out of the injectors..................this is a long shot,,,but,,,i am out of ideas here..........let me know what you come up with,,then,i will opt out,maybe one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on

OK.

Need to think this one through.

Injectors pump fuel when there is no pressure on the rail but won't pump fuel when there is pressure on the rail.

Is it possible for an injector to become week. (not enough magnatizim produced by the coil to pump the plunger inside the injector.)

well

i could see mabe just one bad injector,,,but,not all 4 at the same time.....i will opt out,,maybe one of the other guys has an idea of what is going on here,,,someone will be right with you

thanks

So the gremlens decided to leave over night.

This morning the car started on first key turn. And now it is starting every time.

Have no idea why just the passage of time makes any diffefence.

However there is no power.

Take off is very sluggish and it takes a long time to get up to evem 40 mph.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic