Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

97 Nissan Maxima GLE: Serial Communication Link Malfunction..V6…

Customer Question
Where do i start trying...
Where do i start trying to diagnose P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction on 97 Nissan Maxima GLE V6?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Nissan
11/11/2011
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 6 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Greetings Customer and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
Do you have a volt meter?
yes
Ok, I am going to copy these instructions. Basically what you need to do is check continuity on the wiring from the ecm to the tcm. Check all for continuity.

This is the TCM connector pin out:

This is the ECM connector pin out:
OK

I don't see anything that resembles the ECM or TCM, and cannot find the A/T control unit from the instructions.

Can you tell me wher e to find them?
The ecm is under the dash in front of the center console.
The TCM is sort of under the console in the same area. Might be easiest to remove the console since you have to test all the wiring.
ECM module was approximatly where the diagram showed. But, the connector pin out wan nothing like the pin out diagram provided. The actual pin out connector is much smaller with many fewer wires.

I had to wonder if this is the correct set of diagrams for this car?

Nissan Maxima GLE 1997.

I have since noticed burned up wiring in the connector for the cam shaft sonsor.

I have ordered a new sensor.
You weren't looking at the ecm then.
The first was for the trans control module, second for the ecm.
The ecm should be bolted to the floor in front of the console and the wiring comes in from the passenger side.
This is for the 97 maxi.
Maybe there is some type of production date issue.
Funny you had no code for the cam sensor with the wiring burned up. Might have smoked the ecm.
Would a bad cam sensor prevent the car from starting?

I am getting fuel.

I replaced the plugs.

Seem to be getting spark. Pulled all of the coils one at a time, cranked engine with plug laying on engine. Does get spark.
Normally a bad cam sensor will keep it from starting.
Check for injector pulse. You may be getting fuel for the injectors but no spark. Normally the cam and crank sensors will prevent spark and pulse because that is what the ecm sees to run the car.
See if it will fire off some carb cleaner or starting fluid. This by passes the injectors,it's sort of a quick way to tell.
Let me know.
Alredy tried the starting fluid trick, that was with the old plug though.
Did the car fire or not?
No.

I am going to try it again with the new plugs.

The plugs were wet when removed and I can smell gas when trying to start the car. That's why I thought we were getting fuel.
Ok, and they may be. Hold it to the floor and see if it will fire.
If not, try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and see if it will start.
Let me know.
OK the starting fuid did not work again with the new plugs.

We did remove the mass air flow sensor when trying the starting fluid with the old plugs.

I also pressed on the accelerator on one of the earlier tries.

Ok, the maf needs to be unplugged so if it wasn't try it that way.
Also, check fuse #33 in the fuse box inside the car. This is the start signal fuse and can cause a problem.
Here is a diagram of the fuse box from the service manual so you know which one is #33