Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Xterra: a good fuel pump and good fuel filter cranks but wont start

01 xterra won't start, it...
01 xterra won't start, it has a good fuel pump and good fuel filter cranks but won't start. What is the problem?
10/25/2011
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Do you know if you have spark?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I believe it could be the fuel pressure regulator but not real sure?

Jay :

Do you know if the engine is getting fuel?

Jay :

Did you pop a fuel line off at the engine to see if your getting fuel?

Customer:

It is up to the regulator, have not checked the regulator yet, not exactly sure how to check it. Also suspect dirty injectors. Fuel comes out of the return at the intake and goes in up to the intake.

Jay :

There are two rubber hoses that go to the engine. One is the fuel feed, and one is the return. I would pop the feed off and put it in a clear glass bottle like a snapple bottle and see if you get fuel. At the same time we are taking a fuel sample to make sure you don't have bad gas.

Customer:

have checked and get the fuel don't know about if the gas is bad or not what do I look for to see if gas is bad

Jay :

Lets just take a sample and fill the glass bottle a little over half way. Then let it sit and see if there is any separation and also let me know what color the fuel is.

Customer:

can't do that until tomarro.

Jay :

That is fine

Jay :

Get back to me tomorrow evening and we can continue.

Customer:

do I need to pay again tomarro?

Jay :

No, we just keep this chat open, and save and exit. Then just log back into Just Answer tomorrow

Customer:

ok thank you jay

Jay :

Your welcome. Talk to you tomorrow

Customer:

Jay are you there

Jay :

yes

Customer:

gas has no seperation and is clear with a yellowish tint I guess you would call it

Jay :

How yellow is it?

Jay :

Cause Diesel fuel is yellow

Customer:

just like a lite tint, it is almost clear

Jay :

That may be ok..

Jay :

You wouldn't happen to know if you had any codes would you?

Customer:

I asked the owner and she said the check engine light did not come on, I do not have a scan tool yet so I have to go on the owners answer.

Jay :

Are you a shop?

Jay :

This is not your truck?

Jay :

Can you give me the situation also on when the truck stopped running? Was it being driven, parked? Was it hot or cold?

Customer:

just starting one but yes, I have my Pa state inspection license and have some formal automotive schooling but no A.S.E's yet hoping to get back to school.

Customer:

The truck was parked.

Customer:

it was cold as well

Jay :

You don't have a code reader or anything?

Jay :

Are you able to check for injector pulse?

Customer:

no code reader, I'm not sure, but not if I need a special tool for that.

Jay :

You need what they call a Noid Light to check for injector pulse.

Customer:

do not have one

Jay :

It looks like this

Full Size Image

Jay :

Well this is what you will need to do.

Jay :

First see if there is any codes. If your a shop starting out, you are going to need to be able to read codes. At least pick up a code reader. They are fairly cheap and can help give you direction if you have a code.

Jay :

Once you have determined if you have any codes, feel free to return with the code and let me know. The other things would be to check for spark, fuel and injector pulse.

Jay :

You said you checked for spark and you said you had spark.

Jay :

How may I ask did you verify that?

Customer:

I have a spark tester one end goes on the top of the plug and the other into the plug wire , when I hooked it up and cranked the engine the center of the tester showed spark I did all six plugs

Jay :

ok..

Jay :

Well you will need to get a little more into this. You need to see if you can scan it for code.

Jay :

That is one of the first places you need to check for no start issues.

Jay :

The only thing I can think of that may cause a no start issue with out any codes would be a MAF sensor.

Jay :

90% of the time the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture has fallen out of spec. Not enough to cause a code for it, but enough to cause the Air and fuel Mixture to be so off it can cause No Start, Stalling, poor acceleration, won't rev over a certain Rpm, poor fuel economy and running issues. I would have the Air and Fuel mixture readings checked to verify. Checking the voltage will not show the fault, the air and fuel mixture will. If found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM.

Jay :

But you need a full blown scanner to determine if that is the actual problem.

Customer:

question, when cranking the engine, if fuel was flowing properly would the spark plug ends be wet at all? The reason I ask is because I also pulled the plugs one by one to check them and all were dry after about 5 mins of cranking.

Jay :

They would be if you have injector pulse. That is why I was asking about that.

Customer:

so then is it safe to assume that there probably is noinjector pulse or is it better not to assume on this issue?

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay, your help was very useful, I could not have found fixed my problem without your help. The timing belt was chewed up, once I narrowed it down then fixed it the truck runs great.
Your welcome and glad you found the problem and resolved your issue.

Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician