Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2004 nissan maxima: abs light on, abs pump running..speedometer

abs light on, abs pump running continuously and speedometer not working on 2004 nissan maxima
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
Have you had the codes checked just yet for the abs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Codes were checked, showed
abs module
bcn
transmission speed sensor-not communicating
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK, the typical issue here is the rear abs sensor and wheel bearings. There is no speed sensor in the transmission for the speedometer. The car uses the wheel speed sensors for the abs to calculate the driving speed.
What happens is the wheel bearings in the rear have issues with the drains. What this does is causes rust to form and corrosion. Then what happens is the sensor hits the rust and shorts out. This in turn shorts out the abs control module.
There is a bulletin for this problem HERE is a copy for you to use to repair the car. This is typically a very big expense sorry to say, but it is also very common.I would start by checking the code #'s to the bulletin and see if they are the same. If not, please let me know what codes you do have and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thanks in advance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure if the information will be helpful until it is applied to the vehicle to see if it works
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Are these the codes that were brought up when it was scanned? If so, it will resolve the problem.