Kat
Kat, A.S.E. Certified Nissan Specialist
Experience:  21 years total experience - 8 1/2 years Nissan Experience
456519

Nissan/Datsun Pathfinder LE My interior dash lights (Nissan

My interior dash lights (Nissan 2001 Pathfinder 4x4 LE) behind the speedometer and the tach have gone out (Light that shows odometer ok). I was told to replace them that the whole dash assembly would have to be removed at a cost of about $380 bucks just to replace a few low cost light bulbs. Is this correct? If so, how hard is the dash to remove if I choose to do it myself?

Kat :

Hi and thanks for using Just Answer. I will try to assist you. Unfortunately, the cost is mostly for the labor to remove the dash components and the instrument cluster but that is a pretty accurate amount. It really is not that hard to do yourself. You would have to remove the lower dash piece under the steering wheel, the pieces around the steering column, the inner trim piece for the instrument cluster and the instrument cluster itself. The screws are philips head screws that need to be removed and some clips are on the back of the lower dash panel. Simply remove the screws and pull on the area where the clips are. I can try to send you pics if you are interested in trying it yourself. Let me know

Customer:

That would be great Kat to get that exploded view from you. I have a Haynes manual also but the one I have does not go into great detail so whatever you can send me would be of great help. Also, should I pick up the bulbs at the auto parts place of would it be better to get an oem bulb directly from the dealer? If there is one manf you would recommend over the other it would be helpful as I don't want to do this again for sometime :-) Thanks!

Kat :

You might have to special order them from the dealer. You can try your local parts store first though. No particular manuf I would recommend. let me try to get you those pics. Hang on.

Kat :

Hopefully these will help you

Customer:

Kat,

Customer:

Kat, thanks for the pictures but when I click the link for "Full Size Image" it does nothing. No additional larger size image is displayed in a separate tab or new web browser window. I had another question from another mechanic that also imbedded this type of "Full Size Image" link and it worked (and still works) just fine. Something on your end maybe? Thanks.

Kat :

let me try something else

Kat :

try right clicking on the image and then selecting view image

Customer:

I was able to save the pictures to my hard drive, then blow them up and print them so I'm good. So are the bulbs behind item # XXXXX (the panel with the tack/speedometer) in your first drawing? Or can I get to them without pulling that whole instrument panel off? If I do pull it off, I am assuming that there are cable quick disconnects that allow me to do that?

Kat :

Yes they are behind number 5. That is the actual instrument cluster and yes there are quick connects on the back side.

Kat :

No you have to pull the entire cluster out to get to all the bulbs

Customer:

Thanks Kat. You have been a great help. Wish me luck!