eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2003 Nissan Altima: rear brakes..brake job..the brake pedal

I have a 2003 Nissan Altima and I just had my rear brakes replaced. Before the brake job, I would just have to tap the brake pedal and the braking system would start right away. In fact it was pretty sensitive to the touch. I recently had a rear brake job and now I have to practically press the petal all the way down before I stop.

I had the car taken back but I was told the brakes work ok. Yes, they work fine but they are not sensitive to the touch and being short, I've had to adjust my seat forward in order to be able to stop the car. What did they miss or forget to attach or do I need some new break or pedal part?

how many miles since the brake job was performed?

what type of parts were used - factory replacement or aftermarket?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had the work done on 5-4-2011 and took it back 2 days later. Parts used: brake fluid, camshaft sensor, brake pads, wheel weights. Remarks: Front pads have about 80% life remaining, the rear pads are getting thin. Brake & power steering fluids dirty, engine light on P0340 Camshaft senor malfunction. What they did: Replaced camshaft position sensor, machine both front rotors, clean and lubricate guide pins and hardware. Brakes rear (basic) includes installing new brake shoes or brake pads resurfacing or replacement drums or rotors adjusting brakes and top off brake fluid. Brake fluid exchange and bleed complete system, 4 wheel tire balance. PS. I also had a chirpping when I turn on the A/C but it never chirpped for them but it ALWAYS chirps for me. In october of 1010, They installed a new compressor, drier/condenser, expansion value, refigerant, belt -serpentine, motor mount Front. Everyone at my work can hear me coming. HELP!

ok, I need you to check one thing for me. Test how far you have to set the parking brake for it to hold. It should only go 3-5 clicks as you set it.

let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, I'll have to go to my car after work to check the parking brake but I don't have a computer at home so I may have to finish this tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. I only have use of the computer at work. I hope that is ok but that's the best I can do.

Ok, let me know tommorrow.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Eric,

I went to my car and activated my hand brake. I had never noticed the clicks before but I did yesterday. I lifted the hand brake without pressing the button at the top and I actually saw it click away! It clicked 7 to 8 times before it would click no more.

hi,

ok, great. go back to the shop and tell them that they need to adjust the parking brake. when the parking brake is not adjusted properly(more than 3-5 clicks), then you have a low or soft brake pedal. once they do this, you will immediately notice the difference and see that the brake pedal and braking is what it was before the brake job. the parking brake has to be de-adjusted to remove the rotors to machine them and if not re-adjusted will leave you with a low or soft pedal.

this will take care of your problem

this will take care of your problem