Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Location of fuel temperature sensor on Nissan

Customer Question

Where is the fuel temp sensor located on Nissan?

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

What model and engine size of Nissan?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
xterra 6 cylinder
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Remove the access panel under the bottom of the back seat. Locate the 4 pin flat connector and disconnect it. With the key on engine off, measure the voltage on the Yellow wire (pin 1). There should be a 5 volt reference. Connect the connector and measure the voltage, it should be (depending on the fuel temperature) around 3.5 to 1.0 volts (the warmer the fuel the lower the voltage ). If there is no voltage on the Yellow wire the circuit is either shorted or open. If the voltage remains at 5 volts when connected, either there is a ground problem (Black wire) or the sensor is open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sensor Open ??
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
That would be the sensor has internally failed and would need to be replaced. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not understanding the sensor part. where is it located. when you say internally, is this inside the tank ?? I believe this may be the problem because the OBD code po-180 refers to the fuel temp sensor A-circut
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
The fuel pump needs to be pulled to replace the sensor let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please give us a description of the sensor so when we remove the fuel pump, we will know. I need to know what i am looking for
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
It has two electrical leads on going towards it and is the only one with 2 so you will see it. But its more likely you have a break in the yellow wire. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok.. headed outside to try it out. Cold outside, I hope it works
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Let me know how it goes, the fuel temp sensor is part of the fuel level sender. thanks.