Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Nissan/Datsun Versa SL How do you remove and replace driver

How do you remove and...
How do you remove and replace driver side airbag in a 2007 Nissan versa? If possible can we get illustrations
3/3/2011
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

I dont have illustrations, but it is pretty easy to remove. first, disconnect and isolate battery cables from the battery and wait 5 minutes before proceeding with work.

there are two holes behind the steering wheel, (in the back cover) one on each side. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees first to one side and then to the other to access these on backside of steering wheel. there a plastic covers over the openings. Use a very small screwdriver to pop them out. A couple inchs inside the holes, there is a metal wire about the thickness of a hanger going across the opening. Those just need to pushed about 1/4 of an inch towards the center of the wheel using a small screwdriver, or small allen wrench . That will be enough to unhook the 2 sides, the bottom part of the steering wheel will just slide out once the the 2 sides are unhooked.

I got into an accident and the airbag deployed. Is there another way to remove it now that the airbag has been deployed?

you still remove it the same way. you still want to disconnect the battery. This is because working on removing the deployed one with a live battery can cause the passenger side to deploy by accident
Ok now how do you replace it?

connect the harness connector to the new one and push it into place. The retaining clips catch when it is pushed into place automatically.
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
eric
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager