Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Nissan/Datsun Frontier timing mark 99 2.4 dohc

timing mark 99 2.4 dohc
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

hi

this should help you

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Nissan Frontier, Xterra 1998-05

Timing Chain Cover & Seal

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

2.4L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Drain the engine oil.
  4. Set the engine to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke for the No. 1 cylinder.
  5. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Air cleaner assembly Spark plug wires Cooling fan and shroud Distributor Valve cover Accessory drive belts Power steering pump and brackets A/C compressor and bracket Idler pulleys Water pump pulley Crankshaft pulley Front crankshaft seal Oil pump and drive spindle Oil pan Upper timing cover Lower timing cover Upper timing chain tensioner Upper timing chain and camshaft sprockets. Matchmark the timing chain to the sprockets. Lower timing chain tensioner Lower timing chain and idler sprocket. Matchmark the timing chain to the sprockets.

To install:

FIG : Lower timing chain alignment-2.4L engine image

FIG : Upper timing chain alignment-2.4L engine image

• Install or connect the following:

Lower timing chain and idler sprocket with the timing marks aligned as shown. Tighten the idler sprocket bolt to 48-61 ft. lbs. (66-83 Nm). Lower timing chain tensioner. Tighten the bolts to 56-66 inch lbs. (6.5-7.5 Nm). Upper timing chain and camshaft sprockets with the timing marks aligned as shown. Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolts to 123-130 ft. lbs. (167-177 Nm). Upper timing chain tensioner. Tighten the bolts to 56-66 inch lbs. (6.5-7.5 Nm). Lower timing cover. Tighten the large bolts to 12-14 ft. lbs. (16-19 Nm) and the small bolts to 56-66 inch lbs. (6.5-7.5 Nm). Upper timing cover. Tighten the large bolts to 12-14 ft. lbs. (16-19 Nm) and the small bolts to 56-66 inch lbs. (6.5-7.5 Nm). Oil pan Oil pump and drive spindle Front crankshaft seal Crankshaft pulley. Tighten the bolt to 105-112 ft. lbs. (142-152 Nm). Water pump pulley Idler pulleys A/C compressor and bracket Power steering pump and brackets Accessory drive belts Valve cover Distributor Cooling fan and shroud Spark plug wires Air cleaner assembly Negative battery cable
  • Fill the cooling system.
  • Fill the crankcase to the correct level.
  • Start the engine and check for leaks.
  • Check the ignition timing and adjust, as necessary.