Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Best way to go about replacing the water pump on a 2006 nissan xterra…

What is the best way...
What is the best way to go about replacing the water pump on a 2006 nissan xterra
2/13/2011
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

this may help you

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

4.0L Engine

: Water pump and related components-4.0L engine image

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
  • Remove the undercover. Remove the drive belts.
  • Remove the radiator upper and lower hoses. Remove the cooling fan.
  • Remove the chain tensioner cover and water pump cover from the front timing case, using tool KV10111100 (J-37228) or equivalent.
  • To remove the timing chain tensioner (primary), loosen the clip of the timing chain tensioner (primary) and release the plunger stopper. Insert the plunger into the tensioner body by pressing the slack guide. Keep the slack guide pressed and hold the plunger in by pushing the stopper pin through the tensioner body hole and plunger groove. Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise so that the timing chain on the timing chain tensioner (primary) side is loose. Remove the bolts and remove the timing chain tensioner (primary).
    NOTE Be careful not to drop the bolts inside the timing chain case.

• : Chain tensioner (primary) cover removal-4.0L engine

image

• Remove the three water pump retaining bolts. Secure a gap between the water pump gear and the timing chain, by turning the crankshaft pulley counterclockwise until timing chain looseness on the water pump sprocket is at its maximum point.
  • Screw M8 bolts approximately 1.97 inch in length into the water pumps upper and lower bolt holes until they reach the timing chain case.
  • Alternately tighten each bolt for a half turn and pull out the water pump.
    NOTE Pull the pump straight out while preventing the vane from contacting the socket in the installation area. Remove the pump without causing the sprocket to contact the timing chain.
  • Remove the M8 bolts. Remove and discard the O-rings.
  • To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
    2. Be sure to use new gaskets and O-rings, as required.
    3. When installing the water pump make sure that the timing chain and water pump sprocket are engaged. Tighten the bolts alternately and evenly to specification.
    4. Before installing the chain tensioner cover and the water pump cover be sure to apply a continuous bead of sealant to the mating surfaces of the covers.
      NOTE Do not allow the sealant to set for more than five minutes before installing the covers.
    5. Be sure to fill the cooling system with the proper grade and type engine coolant.
    6. Start the engine and check for leaks.
    7. Let the engine idle for about three minutes than rev it up to 3,000 rpm-s under a no load condition to purge air from the high pressure chamber of the chain tensioner. The engine may produce a rattling noise. This indicates that air still remains in the chamber and is not a matter of concern.
  • Tim's Auto Repair

I am wondering if you might be able to help me with something. The situation is that I was driving this vehicle to school the other day and did not see that it was overheating until it was already pretty hot. Anyway, I got the vehicle home and just a minute before I got it home it started hesitate when you pushed on the gas around 2500 rpm. I changed the thermostat today first hoping that might cure the overheating issue. I filled it with antifreeze and started the car and the heat seems to be ok, but the car is still having problems. Basically the car idles fine and drives ok until you hit around 2500 rpm's. When I get there I can basically floor the gas and it just wont give anything more. Does this sound like the engine is toast to you or could this be something else that Im not thinking of. I am guessing the vehicle got to hot and now I may need a new engine, or could I just possibly have to replace the crankshaft. Not sure what to do from here.

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

does the engine still get hot?

I would have to go to the autozone to get the codes. But, the engine doesnt seem to be getting hot anymore

ok

when you get the codes..let me know..i will try to assist you

Thanks, I will let you know...

ok

i will be on and off line tonight and tomorrow

Tim's Auto Repair
    Tim's Auto Repair
    Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic