Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, Nissan Master Certified Tech, 12 yrs. experience in auto repair.
6166830

2000 altima: wont start..engine cranks..maybe fuel filter or fuel pump

Customer Question

2000 altima wont start. engine cranks wont catch. maybe fuel filter or fuel pump. only has 51k miles. can the security system be preventing the engine from starting? if so, how to override?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 6 years ago.
hi when your trying to start the car is the service engine soon light in the gage cluster on
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes the service engine soon light is on. It came around 4000 miles ago. I purchased the car just before xmas with 47.7k miles on it. It now has 51.7k miles. The previous owner had indicated that light been on and off in the past but has not taken it in for service. The key-fob does not work and has no battery. The car has been running fine until now. The battery does seem a little weak but does accept a charge. My cell phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX if you wish to discuss in person.

Fred Schmidt

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My original question regarding the security system remains un-answered. And I dont understand my phone number being blocked. Its five one five seven eight three two six nine two. I already knew the check engine light is on and could possibly be a number of codes associated with the light. Prior to towing in for service I thought maybe the security system was causing the fuel pump to shut down. I had a similaer experience with a 2002 oldsmobile alero, when after paying $270 for a tow and diagnosis, the service technician told me it was the security system and how to override/reset it (turn key on for 10 mins prior to starting) and it worked. So I will ask again...can the security system be preventing the engine from starting? If so how do I reset it?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean the security light on the dash will be on or just blinking every few seconds? Also do you mean when the key is in the "on" position or when the key is not inserted at all? I read elsewhwere the security system could be reset by disconnecting the positive battery cable then re-connecting it whith the key in the on position. Your saying you have never heard of this?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The light does not come on at all. However I have tried all of the things I mentioned previously and am frustrated as you can imagine...I just went out began pumping the accelerator like a mad man while cranking the engine and it started and is idling in my garage right now. I feel like I should go drive it, put in fresh gas (maybe a fuel addictive) ... ? now what are your thoughts? I'm really not trying to be difficult...I have to drive to des moines ia tomorrow from lincoln, ne to work for the week (185 miles one-way) I want to take in fer service but would rather do it in des moines. Any suggestions or input? I'm gonna take a chance on it starting in the morning...anything I can do now while its running to improve my chances of it starting in the morning?
the only thing i can tell you is that you may have a bad crank sensor this is the most likely problem with the car, base on what i have seen and know but you still have to get the car scan for codes like i told you before , your saying the light was been on for a long time but you don't know if there is a new codes in the system that will lead you to the cause of the problem your having now ,so please scan the car and if you have a code p0335 replaced the crank sensor if you have a code p0325 replace the cam sensor that can cause the problem too. but trying to guess will only have you spending money and not getting the problem fix the first time ..