Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2003 nissan sentra starts then dies then wont crank

1/29/2011
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

When you say won't crank, do you mean the engine turns over and doesn't start?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

starts then dies

Jay :

If you step on the accelerator a little bit, will it start and run as long as you keep your foot on the gas?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

no it dies no matter what you do

Jay :

Ok

Jay :

Lets try this,

Jay :

Open the hood and unplug the MAF sensor. This is the sensor that is attached to the top part of the air filter housing.

Jay :

After you unplug it, see if the car starts and idles, DO not give it gas. This is just a test

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

it may take afew min to go to shop and try

Jay :

Not a problem. Get back to me after you try.

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

no that didnt help

Jay :

You just tried it?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

yes

Jay :

does the same thing?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

yes

Jay :

You have gas in the car right?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

yes

Jay :

Do you know if you have any codes stored?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

cam shaft pos sensor and it andcrank sensors have been replaced

Jay :

Can you give me a little more history on this issue. I see you put a used fuel pump in the car, along with a Cam and Crank sensor.

Jay :

Was there a code for them? is that why the sensors were replaced?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

yes

Jay :

Did you get the sensors from your local auto parts store?

Jay :

What was the code you had?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

in cold weather had trouble cranking and then would finally run and now it wont even do that

Jay :

the number if you remember please.

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

yes parts came from parts store

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

let me look

Jay :

Do you know what the code number was that you had?

Jay :

k

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

no cant find it

Jay :

Well have to start with some basic checks

Jay :

Need to check fuel pressure

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

ok

Jay :

Since the car almost starts,

Jay :

and need to take a fuel sample

Jay :

Make sure the fuel is ok.

Jay :

May want to take out the spark plugs and make sure they are not wet also

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

code number po340

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

if they come out wet does that mean plugs are bad

Jay :

340 is the cam sensor

Jay :

if wet it means the car is getting flooded

Jay :

I can say this.

Jay :

The problem could also be that after market Cam and Crank sensor.

Jay :

Seen it way to many times.

Jay :

After market electrical parts just don't seem to work right

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

the other code was po113

Jay :

That is the Air intake Temp sensor

Jay :

Did you just check codes now?

Jay :

or this was the codes you had before?

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

yes

Jay :

Ok

Jay :

That also indicates you may have a MAF sensor problem

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

but the first code was the original

Jay :

Both these items can keep the car from starting, and I do not recommend after market parts for.

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

do you know how much pressure fuel pump should have it has 40

Jay :

When you run into problems like this in the work environment, the normal thing to do since the sensor has been replaced is to assume it's good ( when it may not be ) so then you do all sorts of other checks and throw more parts at the car to try to get to start, then it ends up being the after market electrical part.

Jay :

51 psi should be the fuel pressure

Jay :

if you have 40, that is to low

JACUSTOMER-oq7h6on2- :

ok thank you

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician