Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Nissan/Datsun Altima GXE how do I bleed the air from the coolant

Customer Question
how do I bleed the...
how do I bleed the air from the coolant on my 98 altima
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Nissan
12/12/2010
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 7 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

hey

Jay :

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket. Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine to move the coolant around to get the air out. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Jay :

If you can't get a coolant bucket you can make one. See image as an example.

Full Size Image

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

you mean coolant resivore?

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

OH no I see

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

do I cut the bottom off the coolant bucket?

Jay :

yea

Jay :

To make it fit snug, so it won't leak

Jay :

You will also need to pinch off the over flow bottle hose

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

do I keep this bucket filled half way for duration?

Jay :

You start it half way

Jay :

and let it go down about 1/4 way

Jay :

If your over flow bottle is empty, to empty the coolant bucket, just uncrimp the over over flow bottle hose, and it will drain into there.

Jay :

So you may want to remove and empty the over flow bottle before you start. It makes it easier and less of a mess

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

I've tried removing it. How is it conected at the bottom?

Jay :

What?

Jay :

Oh, the over flow bottle?

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

I feel silly because I am able to replace the water pump but not remove the over flow.

Jay :

lol

Jay :

One 10 mm bolt

Jay :

Then wiggle and pull

Jay :

straight up

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

that's it I was afraid i'd break it

Jay :

You got it?

JACUSTOMER-bujnoxs2- :

thanks Jay

Jay :

Not a problem, Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay :

Don't forget to press the Accept button if your satisfied with my help. Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician