Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2001 Nissan Altima: hesitation..acceleration..it during idling..stall

Trying to isolate the main...
Trying to isolate the main problem on my 2001 Nissan Altima. Has major hesitation on acceleration and can hear/feel it during idling. The engine sounds good other than this and it doesn't stall. I am a firm believer in the issue is most likely related to what you did last (wires and plugs). But when you have 235k miles coincidences can occur. Here is the breakdown of events.

1. Engine running fine but I changed wires and plugs as standard maintence
2. About 1-2 days later I began noticing a little hesitation/sluggishness when accelerating. I thought maybe I needed some fuel injector cleaner and added it. Nothing major.
3. Hesitation go worse as the days went by and about a week in a half since changing plugs wires it completely stopped. Stalled and didn't start back
4. I found that my oxygen sensor connection was melted on the exhaust manifold and thought that was the issue and changed it. It started but not able to keep running.
5. Called mechanic and he came over and eventually adjusted my timing via distributor and it ran but not that great. He contributed it to the timing chain (original).
6. He changed the chain and distributor and cleaned the catalytic converters in front and back (front was replace 2 yrs ago and rear is original)
7. He ran the diagnostic test and now the EGR is what is showing up as faulty. It was replaced two years ago but the mechanic said that if the converters were bad it could have clogged the EGR valve.

Sorry for the long details but thought it might help.
11/28/2010
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Ok, I think we need to start with the tune-up. What brand and type of spark plugs did you do with? did you upgrade to a performance plug, or to a hotter plug based upon something you might have read in a forum, or on a part counterperson's advice?

If you have the spark plug brand and part number, please post those so I can verify it is what is called for in your Altima, as well as the gap
FYI, I am not a mechanical person what so ever so bare with me. I get all my info from parts store help (accept when at mechanic of course). I don't buy the high end stuff typically and not the cheapest either. Normally based on their input.

Parts:
1. Plug wires- NGK #RC-NX15
2. Autolite Double Platinum #APP3924 ( I normally used a cheaper Bousch but they recommend this)

Thanks
...I had the man at the parts store gap the plugs for me. Not sure the measurement.

ok, you need to install NGK platinum part #7090. Ensure gap is .044"

The plugs you have are too hot, and this can account for the problem with EGR valve code due to carbonization, which you will want to pull and clean the ports. It also can account for exhaust getting too hot and melting the O2 wiring connector.

Do this first, and then retest car
Is it simple to clean the ports on the valve? I changed it in the past but never "cleaned ports". How do I do this? spray? brush? Air?

Pull the EGR valve, use some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush to clean out the ports thoroughly. Just spray the carb cleaner in the ports and scrub with toothbrush, and the spray again with carb cleaner and allow to drain out and its good to go.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for more help, otherwise you need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, experience, or any factory directions or diagrams provide until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button to pay expert, although you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a great day
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
eric
eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager